On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 21:32 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote: > On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 01:26:25PM -0600, Larry Finger wrote: > > > My plan is to continue to maintain bcm43xx-SoftMAC for at least the BPHY and 4306 revisions even > > after d80211 becomes the in-kernel driver. Of course, I hope that we will have found the killer bugs > > by that time, and that maintenance will only require following kernel API changes. > > Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly - does the v4 > firmware drop compatibility for older cards, or is it just that Broadcom > dropped support in the driver at the same time as the firmware changed, > and the new firmware will still also drive the old cards? No, the older cards have a completely different MAC processor and Broadcom hasn't bothered to create v4 firmware for it since they dropped support for it along with creating new drivers (probably one decision influenced the other, creating a v2 firmware is likely more work than a v3+) johannes