* git backlight tree
@ 2007-02-11  0:33 Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2007-02-11  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML, akpm
  Cc: Dmitry Torokhov, jsimmons, linux-kernel, openembedded,
	Benjamin Herrenschmidt, lenb

As mentioned previously, I've setup a backlight git tree at:

http://git.o-hand.com/?p=linux-rpurdie-backlight;a=shortlog;h=for-mm
(git://git.o-hand.com/linux-rpurdie-backlight)

A patch of the combined changes to mainline is:

http://www.rpsys.net/openzaurus/patches/git_backlight-r1.patch.gz

I've included a git shortlog and diffstat output below.

A few months ago Dmitry highlighted some problems with the backlight
code and I've included patches to fix the issues raised. I've also
included several pending backlight patches adding drivers or fixing
other bugs.

The backlight code was turning into a locking minefield, several mutexes
deep in places and was in need of some cleanup which these patches
attempt, by simplifying locks and documenting what they protect.

Whilst working on the above I noticed some ways of removing some code
duplication particularly with the powermac backlight hooks. There were
also several backlight calls from fb_blank methods which aren't needed
with the backlight code so I've removed them. There should be no
functionality changes.

I've cc'd various people who've been involved with areas of the
backlight code. If people could check the changes to their
hardware/areas of interest over or better still, test them I'd
appreciate it as I can't compile or runtime test all of these changes.
These changes should be appearing in the next -mm and I'm hoping it
might still be possible to get them into 2.6.21 and iron out any issues
during the -rc releases.

Richard

 MAINTAINERS                                 |    5
 arch/powerpc/kernel/traps.c                 |    6 -
 arch/powerpc/platforms/powermac/backlight.c |   27 +---
 drivers/acpi/asus_acpi.c                    |    7 -
 drivers/acpi/ibm_acpi.c                     |    8 -
 drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.c                 |    7 -
 drivers/acpi/video.c                        |   36 ++----
 drivers/macintosh/via-pmu-backlight.c       |   33 ++----
 drivers/misc/asus-laptop.c                  |   31 +----
 drivers/misc/msi-laptop.c                   |   10 -
 drivers/usb/misc/appledisplay.c             |   22 +---
 drivers/video/Kconfig                       |   73 ++++++-------
 drivers/video/aty/aty128fb.c                |  102 +++---------------
 drivers/video/aty/atyfb_base.c              |  100 +++---------------
 drivers/video/aty/radeon_backlight.c        |   59 ++--------
 drivers/video/aty/radeon_base.c             |    3
 drivers/video/backlight/Kconfig             |   24 ++--
 drivers/video/backlight/Makefile            |    1
 drivers/video/backlight/backlight.c         |  123 +++++++++++-----------
 drivers/video/backlight/corgi_bl.c          |   54 ++++-----
 drivers/video/backlight/hp680_bl.c          |   50 +++++----
 drivers/video/backlight/lcd.c               |   83 +++++++--------
 drivers/video/backlight/locomolcd.c         |   13 +-
 drivers/video/backlight/progear_bl.c        |  153 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/video/chipsfb.c                     |   26 ----
 drivers/video/console/fbcon.c               |    7 +
 drivers/video/fbsysfs.c                     |   14 +-
 drivers/video/nvidia/nv_backlight.c         |   92 ++--------------
 drivers/video/nvidia/nv_proto.h             |    2
 drivers/video/nvidia/nvidia.c               |    5
 drivers/video/riva/fbdev.c                  |  100 +++---------------
 include/linux/backlight.h                   |   50 +++++++--
 include/linux/fb.h                          |   13 +-
 include/linux/lcd.h                         |   45 ++++++--

Dmitry Torokhov (2):
      backlight: Fix error handling
      backlight: Remove excessive (un)likelys

James Simmons (1):
      backlight: Improve backlight selection for fbdev drivers

Marcin Juszkiewicz (1):
      backlight: Add Frontpath ProGear HX1050+ driver

Michael Hanselmann (1):
      backlight: Fix null pointer dereference in appledisplay driver

Richard Purdie (15):
      backlight: Add maintainer entry
      backlight: Remove unneeded owner field
      backlight: Minor code cleanups for corgi_bl.c
      backlight: Minor code cleanups for hp680_bl.c
      backlight: Fix external uses of backlight internal semaphore
      backlight: Convert semaphore -> mutex
      backlight: Remove uneeded nvidia set_power calls
      backlight: Fix Kconfig entries
      backlight/fbcon: Add FB_EVENT_CONBLANK
      backlight: Remove uneeded update_status call from chipsfb.c
      backlight: Remove unneeded backlight update_status calls
      backlight: Rework backlight/fb interaction simplifying, lots
      backlight: Clean up pmac_backlight handling
      backlight: Separate backlight properties from backlight ops pointers
      backlight: simplify corgi_bl locking

* Re: git backlight tree
@ 2007-02-11  4:45 ` Len Brown
From: Len Brown @ 2007-02-11  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie, linux-acpi
  Cc: LKML, akpm, Dmitry Torokhov, jsimmons, linux-kernel,
	openembedded, Benjamin Herrenschmidt

On Saturday 10 February 2007 19:33, Richard Purdie wrote:
> As mentioned previously, I've setup a backlight git tree at:
>
> http://git.o-hand.com/?p=linux-rpurdie-backlight;a=shortlog;h=for-mm
> (git://git.o-hand.com/linux-rpurdie-backlight)
>
> A patch of the combined changes to mainline is:
>
> http://www.rpsys.net/openzaurus/patches/git_backlight-r1.patch.gz

The changes under drivers/acpi/ and drivers/misc/ look fine to me.
Acked-by: Len Brown <len.brown@intel.com>
if you need that to send those bits upstream.

Note that there is a new sony-laptop driver under drivers/misc/ in my tree
that I expect to send upstream next week -- and it will need
the analogous updates.

thanks,
-Len

* Re: git backlight tree
@ 2007-02-12 13:43   ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2007-02-12 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Len Brown
  Cc: linux-acpi, LKML, akpm, Dmitry Torokhov, jsimmons, linux-kernel,

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 23:45 -0500, Len Brown wrote:
> On Saturday 10 February 2007 19:33, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > As mentioned previously, I've setup a backlight git tree at:
> >
> > http://git.o-hand.com/?p=linux-rpurdie-backlight;a=shortlog;h=for-mm
> > (git://git.o-hand.com/linux-rpurdie-backlight)
> >
> > A patch of the combined changes to mainline is:
> >
> > http://www.rpsys.net/openzaurus/patches/git_backlight-r1.patch.gz
>
> The changes under drivers/acpi/ and drivers/misc/ look fine to me.
> Acked-by: Len Brown <len.brown@intel.com>
> if you need that to send those bits upstream.
>
> Note that there is a new sony-laptop driver under drivers/misc/ in my tree
> that I expect to send upstream next week -- and it will need
> the analogous updates.

I'd noticed it and had sent Andrew a patch to keep things happy in -mm.
Now I know the timescales, I'll wait until after its gone in and fixup
the backlight tree accordingly before submitting.

Thanks,

Richard