From: Ronan Waide <waider@amazon.com>
To: selinux@tycho.nsa.gov
Subject: Re: su and context
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:38:19 +0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 16:53, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> The behavior has actually changed over time; you'll find discussions
> about it in the mailing list archives.  The original SELinux kept su
> separate from security context changes.  Earlier versions of Fedora (and
> RHEL 4) integrated them (via pam_selinux) in an effort to provide
> greater transparency, but this caused its own set of problems (e.g. use
> of su from init scripts, losing continuity of context across su when you
> want it for roles and levels).  More recent versions of Fedora (and RHEL
> 5) split them back out again.  One might add an option to su to support
> simultaneous newrole, but you don't want it by default.

On the subject of interaction between "old" and "new" security, I was
briefly stumped in my quest to create a bind role account by the fact
that the rndc binary (on FC6) is not actually executable by anyone other
than root, so granting rndc_exec_t doesn't help unless you also change
the binary's permissions. Is this intentional? I had hoped that SELinux
rather than the filesystem would be taken as authoritative on who gets
access, but I can see reasons why this maybe shouldn't be the case, and
perhaps the 'bug' is with the installed permissions?

Cheers,
Waider.
--
Ronan Waide / TechOps EU Systems Engineer / waider@amazon.com