On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 10:16 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote: > On 2/24/07, Antonino A. Daplas wrote: > > On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 14:34 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote: > > > > > > The snowy is constant and abundant, and it seems to be independent of > > > video size (640 through 1600) and screen occupation (single prompt > > > line to fullscreen mc session) and usage. > > > > > > > I presume that X's nv driver or vesafb does not exhibit this problem? > > > > > > X's nv gives a very clean display, /unless/ I load nvidiafb before: if > > > I modprobe nvidiafb (it's a module, and it's blacklisted precisely for > > > this reason), then the screen is very snowy with X's nv too. > > > > > > > Hmm..., I really don't know how to fix this except to look at Xorg's > > code and look for a difference. > > Keep in mind that setting nvidiafb to totally ignore the EDID (either > by not compiling in EDID support or by using e.g. the ignoreedid patch > I had proposed) the snow effect is extremely reduced, I did not know that, just scanned the entire thread. Try this patch, it makes use of fb_ddc_read*() which I believe has extra steps to prevent display corruption. It also incorporates Luca's i2c fix. Tony