So, if I read this right, to implement an auditd log rotation that is based on time one would: 1. set num_logs to 0 in auditd.conf 2. send SIGUSR1 to auditd based on your log rotation schedule. Are there any other nuances I need to take into consideration? On 3/22/2017 5:48 PM, Steve Grubb wrote: > On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:19:11 PM EDT warron.french wrote: >> So, I needed a feature over 8 months ago, nobody could provide one for the >> following: >> Rolling log files either when they hit a certain size or the day >> changed over at midnight. >> >> I know that I could have rolled the files at a specific size, by using the >> *max_log_file* attribute as identified in the */etc/audit/auditd.conf*, but >> there was no "builtin" for managing auto rotation at the start of a new day >> (0000 hrs). >> >> It looks like there is a file called */usr/share/doc/auditd-<**version>* >> */auditd.cron* >> >> *.* >> To me*, *this file is new; considering I needed it 8 months ago. > > Its over 9 years old. > >> *Anyway, how is this file implemented? > > https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-userspace/blob/master/init.d/auditd.cron > > Its a shell script that end up sending SIGUSR1 to auditd. That causes auditd > to rotate the files. But you would also configure auditd to not rotate files by > setting num_logs to 0 in auditd.conf. > >> * Simply move it to a directory with permissions to execute; ensure it is >> executable and then simply set up a cronjob to execute it at whatever time >> of day that I wish? > > Yes. You can also extend the script by sleeping a couple seconds for the > rotation and then rename the file and/or compress it and/or move it to another > directory or partition. Whatever you want to do. > >> *Finally, if I have '-e 2' as the last control in the audit.rules file; >> will the auditd.cron which executes as service auditd rotate still function >> properly?* > > The -e 2 makes the rules immutable. Sending SIGUSR1 to the audit daemon just > rotates the files. So, it has no bearing on the matter. > > -Steve > > -- > Linux-audit mailing list > Linux-audit@redhat.com > https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-audit >