On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 18:04 +0800, Jeff Chua wrote: > On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Johannes Berg > wrote: > > 1) It can't be before iwconfig which will result in "SET failed on > > device wlan0 ; Device or resource busy". > > So your point 1) confuses me. Can you > > explain that a little more? > > This is what happened ... > > # modprobe -r iwlagn > # modprobe iwlagn > # ifconfig wlan0 up > # iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed > Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) : > SET failed on device wlan0 ; Device or resource busy. Oh, ok, yes, you cannot change the mode while the interface is up. Though I guess setting it to the same mode should be accepted. Not that it matters, the default mode is "managed" anyway. > > As for 2), that is very very strange since ap auto channel auto is the > > default, so saying that before you do anything else should do anything > > at all. > > > > I suspect something is going on in the driver because the ifconfig order > > matters and for mac80211, it shouldn't make a difference when the state > > machine is really started. I'll probably need to try to reproduce this, > > but to be honest between the varying failure modes, undefined wireless > > extensions semantics, etc. I'm not very confident I can. > > I'll try all the different combination again for 2.6.28, and see if > it's the same, and on the other AP that seems harder to associate (but > works well in 2.6.28, and other OSs include Nokia phones ... so I > don't think it's the AP problem ... because it's been around a while > and gone thru many 2.6.xx). Yeah, I have to admit that an AP problem doesn't make much sense -- but the entire failure mode doesn't make much sense to me so far. > It worked so well before that I didn't even bother to think twice, and > I may have made silly mistakes along the way, so pardon me if I > confused you. No worries. It really should still work well. Can I convince you to try getting the packet dump I asked for in another mail? johannes