On 9/4/19 3:18 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote: >>>>> -Syntax for specifying a NBD device using TCP >>>>> +Syntax for specifying a NBD device using TCP, in preferred URI form: >>>>> +``nbd://[:]/[]'' >>>>> + >>>>> ``nbd::[:exportname=]'' >>>>> > > In general libvirt should never use the psuedo-URI/URI syntax for > anything. We're moving towards use of blockdev, so will have the > dot separated key syntax on the cli and equiv in QMP. There's a difference between '-drive' (which sort of implies the file=URI... syntax) and '-blockdev + -device' (where you use the dot-separated syntax). Yes, we should document and encourage the use of -blockdev even more (at which point URIs are not needed, whether or not they are the preferred URI or the old form); but as long as -drive can only take a non-dotted representation, we should still be choosing the non-dotted representation that is at least reusable among other projects that also use URI syntax for NBD drives. > > I hope this means we'll stop using the URIs in migration, but will > defer to peter for specifics. > > I always think it is a shame that QEMU has done so much work on > blockdev, but all QEMU's docs still largely use the many legacy > syntaxes. IOW, we should make these NBD examples use the modern > non-URI syntax too. Agreed, but that is separate patches to this one. -- Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer Red Hat, Inc. +1-919-301-3226 Virtualization: qemu.org | libvirt.org