On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 14:11 -0400, Richard Farina wrote: > Yes, and at what point does it seem like a good idea to hide the channel > the wifi card is on? If I set channel 11 and it is scanning instead of > locked on channel 11 then I should see the current channel the hardware > is on. This seems like an aweful idea to me, granted, it may help a few > people that don't understand how scanning works, but hiding the truth is > never a good idea. NACK. It's not really about hiding the truth. Besides, many many devices are _already_ "hiding the truth" (to use your words) because they do scanning in firmware and you never know what channel they're on (e.g. all Intel wireless hardware). I think it's completely pointless for us to reply to the question "what channel am I on" with the answer "currently the receiver is tuned to 132", when we can say "you're associated to a network on channel 11". After all, we don't unset the SSID/BSSID when scanning either, even though we're currently not talking to the AP. johannes