On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 14:30 -0400, Richard Farina wrote: > And if the card claims to be associated but ends up stuck on another > channel? Then your network breaks anyway? And you see messages in the log that it failed to switch channel? We're talking about mac80211 devices :) > I can't see a good reason for this at all but if no one agrees > with me then it is well without your power to simply overrule me. > > I think it is an awful idea, and intel being broken isn't an excuse to > break everything else. If the card isn't on the right channel because > of some random failure this patch ensures there is no way to > troubleshoot. If you want to display current channel that is the > hardware channel, if you want to display "Channel the AP I'm associated > to is on" then call it something other than "Current Channel" It's not just Intel... All fullmac devices, ie. everything not using mac80211, shows the same behaviour. And trying to say "current channel" is "hardware channel" runs into the nice pitfall that, unfortunately, wext is so undefined that you can't really say either. I think the channel it's trying to use makes a whole lot more sense because otherwise a user who just randomly does "iwconfig" will be mightily confused if for example wpa_supplicant had just requested a scan. johannes