On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 11:10 +0900, Ken Kawasaki wrote: > Hi, > > >> > Random question: are CIS files copyrightable? > >> > >> The CIS contains the IRQ, ioport-range, voltage information etc > >> like the PCI config space. > >> So I think it is not copyrightable. > >> but Sierra Wireless provided this CIS by GPL. > >[...] > > >If it is subject to copyright - which apparently they think it is - then > >when redistributing under GPL we must be able to provide the 'preferred > >form for modification'. So that leads to the question, is this blob or > >hex file the preferred form? > > > (1)The CIS contains data only, > does not contain the code to be executed. > (2)Sierra Wireless provided the binary of the CIS only. > (3)These CIS are stable and does not need to be modified. > (3)The content of the CIS can be seen by the dump_cis utility. > > So if someone want to modify the CIS , I think it is OK > to use hex editor. That sounds reasonable. Thanks. Ben. -- Ben Hutchings The obvious mathematical breakthrough [to break modern encryption] would be development of an easy way to factor large prime numbers. - Bill Gates