* Objective C cross compiler recipe?
@ 2009-11-20 19:42 Charlie Woloszynski
From: Charlie Woloszynski @ 2009-11-20 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

I am working on an OMAP project and I have been asked to include some Objective-C code into the project.

I am looking at the build process and it looks like gcc-4.3.3 is built with objective C support, but I don't see the headers or runtime library installed anywhere for cross compilation.

GCC, as put in ./tmp/cross/armv7a/bin, seems to know objective-c but does not know where to find its header files (and I assume its runtime will be an issue right after that)

arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc main.m
>main.m:1:24: error: objc/Object.h: No such file or directory
>In file included from main.m:2:
>List.h:4: error: cannot find interface declaration for ‘Object’, superclass of ‘List’
>main.m: In function ‘main’:
>main.m:8: warning: ‘List’ may not respond to ‘+new’
>main.m:8: warning: (Messages without a matching method signature
>main.m:8: warning: will be assumed to return ‘id’ and accept
>main.m:8: warning: ‘...’ as arguments.)

I was hoping that someone who is familiar with the GCC recipes might be able to provide some guidance on this.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Charlie

* Re: Objective C cross compiler recipe?
@ 2009-11-20 20:55 ` Phil Blundell
From: Phil Blundell @ 2009-11-20 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 11:42 -0800, Charlie Woloszynski wrote:
> I am working on an OMAP project and I have been asked to include some Objective-C code into the project.
>
> I am looking at the build process and it looks like gcc-4.3.3 is built with objective C support, but I don't see the headers or runtime library installed anywhere for cross compilation.
>
> GCC, as put in ./tmp/cross/armv7a/bin, seems to know objective-c but does not know where to find its header files (and I assume its runtime will be an issue right after that)

We're using gcc 4.2.4 for objective-c and it seems to work OK.  I have,
for example:

-rw-r--r-- 1 pb pb 3552 2009-06-26 13:19 tmp/cross/armv4t/lib/gcc/arm-linux/4.2.4/include/objc/Object.h

I guess it's possible that this has gotten broken in more recent
versions.  I'll try upgrading to 4.4.2 and see what happens.

p.

* Re: Objective C cross compiler recipe?
@ 2009-11-21  9:19 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2009-11-21  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 20-11-09 20:42, Charlie Woloszynski wrote:
> I am working on an OMAP project and I have been asked to include some Objective-C code into the project.
>
> I am looking at the build process and it looks like gcc-4.3.3 is built with objective C support, but I don't see the headers or runtime library installed anywhere for cross compilation.

I have patches to fix that, will push those after the weekend. With
thise patches I can compile obj-c apps and run then in angstrom.

regards,

Koen