Dnia 2010-01-26, wto o godzinie 12:48 -0500, aragonx@dcsnow.com pisze: > My thinking this morning is to setup a 2nd server with the 5 750GB > disks > and leave that as a software RAID. Then I would purchase 2 2TB disks > for > my current server and just use them as-is. Remember that if you lose any of the 2TB disks, you lose all data on that disk. With those 5 disks in a RAID5 array, you can safely replace any of them, without losing any data. > Throughput is a concern though. I currently was getting 50MB/sec over > the > network. This was okay but I really wanted to get that up to 75MB/sec > or > more. From a RAID5 array (when reading) you should get more than from one, even faster, disk. Remember that with a RAID5 data is read sequentially from N-1 disks (where N is the number of disks in your array). Writing can be a bit slower due to parity calculation that needs to occur. I would stay with the software RAID setup, but it seems you should try and read some more about it. Remember to use some monitoring tools like smartd and mdadm --monitor that will shout at you when there are problems. -- Cheers MichaƂ (Saviq) Sawicz