On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 07:18 +0200, Eric Dumazet wrote: > > A kernel module might do this, this could be integrated in perf bench so > that we can regression tests upcoming kernels. Perf would be good - but even softnet_stat cleaner than the the nasty hack i use (attached) would be a good start; the ping with and without rps gives me a ballpark number. IPI is important to me because having tried it before it and failed miserably. I was thinking the improvement may be due to hardware used but i am having a hard time to get people to tell me what hardware they used! I am old school - I need data;-> The RFS patch commit seems to have more info but still vague, example: "The benefits of RFS are dependent on cache hierarchy, application load, and other factors" Also, what does a "simple" or "complex" benchmark mean?;-> I think it is only fair to get this info, no? Please dont consider what i say above as being anti-RPS. 5 microsec extra latency is not bad if it can be amortized. Unfortunately, the best traffic i could generate was < 20Kpps of ping which still manages to get 1 IPI/packet on Nehalem. I am going to write up some app (lots of cycles available tommorow). I still think it is valueable. cheers, jamal