From: Rayson Ho <rho@redhat.com>
To: Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com>
Cc: kvm@vger.kernel.org, systemtap@sources.redhat.com,
	Prerna Saxena <prerna@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Tracing KVM with Systemtap
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 08:11:30 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 14:33 +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > net.c qemu_deliver_packet(), etc - network statistics
>
> Yes.

Further digging into the code in the net/ directory, there are more
functions that should be traced/probed - e.g. a lot of the net_socket*
routines.

Given that SystemTap, LTTng, and DTrace have extremely close to zero
overhead at each probe point, adding them into code can provide users
different performance resolutions into the networking code.

> > <CPU Arch>/op_helper.c global_cpu_lock(), tlb_fill() - lock & unlock,
> > and TLB refill statistics
>
> These are not relevant to KVM, they are only used when running with
> KVM disabled (TCG mode).

Hmm, while my main objective is to add probes for KVM, if they are
useful to QEMU, I may as well add them to my patch.

> > balloon.c, hw/virtio-balloon.c - ballooning information.
>
> Prerna added a balloon event which is in qemu.git trace-events.  Does
> that one do what you need?

Thanks for the info.

> > I will see what other probes are useful for the end users. Also, are
> > there developer documentations for KVM? (I googled but found a lot of
> > presentations about KVM but not a lot of info about the internals.)
>
> Not really.  I suggest grabbing the source and following vl.c:main()
> to the main KVM execution code.

I was looking for the hardware interfacing code earlier this morning --
QEMU has the hardware specific directories (e.g. target-i386/ ,
target-ppc/ ), and I was trying to understand the execution environment
when the host and guest are running on the same architecture.

I believe cpu_gen_code() and other related functions are what I should
dig into...

Rayson