From: hermann pitton <hermann-pitton@arcor.de>
To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@redhat.com>
Cc: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL for 2.6.36] V4L/DVB fixes
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 05:50:39 +0200	[thread overview]

Am Donnerstag, den 30.09.2010, 00:08 -0300 schrieb Mauro Carvalho
Chehab:
> Em 29-09-2010 22:04, hermann pitton escreveu:
> >
> > Linus,
> >
> > Am Montag, den 27.09.2010, 17:02 -0700 schrieb Linus Torvalds:

> >> I get
> >>
> >>   scripts/kconfig/conf --oldconfig arch/x86/Kconfig
> >>   drivers/media/Kconfig:146: 'endif' in different file than 'if'
> >>   drivers/media/IR/Kconfig:15: location of the 'if'
> >>   drivers/Kconfig:114: unexpected 'endmenu' within if block
> >>   drivers/Kconfig:1: missing end statement for this entry
> >>   make[1]: *** [oldconfig] Error 1
> >>   make: *** [oldconfig] Error 2
> >>
> >> with this. And it seems to be due to a totally broken commit at the
> >> very beginning of the series by a commit called "Kconfig fixes"
> >> (Hah!), that clearly has not been tested at all.
> >>
> >> The commit sequence was also done today, apparently immediately before
> >> sending me the pull request. Which sure as hell explains the "clearly
> >> not tested at all" situation.
> >>
> >> Don't do this. You are now officially on my shit-list for sending me
> >> total crap.
> >>
> >> How effing hard can it be to understand: you don't send me stuff that
> >> hasn't been tested. It needs to be in -next for SEVERAL DAYS, and you
> >> don't rebase it or take it from some random quilt series just before
> >> sending it to me.
> >>
> >> That's true _especially_ during the -rc series. But it's damn well
> >> true at any other time too.
> >>
> >> I'm angry. I expect at least some _minimal_ amount of competence from
> >> people I pull from. This was not it. Get your ^&#! act together!
> >>
> >>                                    Linus
> >
> > you should not be such rude.
> >
> > You have never been in any hardware details on v4l and dvb.
> >
> > After Gerd Knorr did quit, out of reasons, you noticed there is some
> > noise on v4l and dvb, but you never had to fix much on your own in the
> > last eight years.
> >
> > Shouting around and blaming others always was enough ...
> >
> > I agree, a rc-1 should be at least compile tested.
> >
> > Any idea, why this goes away?
>
> Hermann,
>
> That's OK. I did crap. Linus is right. I'll send him the patches again
> after having the same tree branch being tested for a few days at linux-next,
> without any bad results.
>
> Cheers,
> Mauro.

Mauro,

hopefully, a few days on linux-next can replace all what we had in the
past, causing sometimes years of delay ...

What to say ?

OK, if you say we are fine with it now, it is up to you.

So, the whole mistake was, that Linus did not start kicking asses harder
earlier?

What a total crap!

Cheers,
Hermann