On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 12:54 -0400, Chris Metcalf wrote: > The tile architecture uses this framework for our serial console, > and our users complain that the delay of up to two seconds feels like > the machine has gone non-responsive and is disturbing. By contrast, > a delay of up to half a second feels like just the normal sort of > delay caused by swapping, network lag, etc. and is not noticeable. > The overhead is obviously not much greater. It's 4 times greater. We picked 2 seconds because it gave a reasonable trade off between responsiveness and load. I'm not convinced that half a second is a better number. cheers