(adding xen-devel) On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 14:27 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote: > On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:28:48PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote: > > Perhaps if you would describe what doesn't work for you we could work to > > fix it, but the above isn't really very helpful, is it? > > The first ones: > - Silent fail if qemu-dm[1] is missing or failing. It lacks error > checking. Yes, this could certainly be improved. > - Probably missing close-on-exit flags for several file handlers. You mean close-on-exec? the libxl interfaces for exec'ing takes care of closing file handles and since xl is a one-shot toolstack it generally doesn't have piles of fd's open. The issue is still worth considering and checking for correctness though I think, especially within libxc (which has other users than xl). Do you know of specific instances where the CLOEXEC flag is needed but missing? I don't think any of the above qualifies xl as so broken we shouldn't even suggest people try it, as you started out by saying... Ian. > [1]: qemu 0.10 is not supportable in any way security wise. -- Ian Campbell I am currently transitioning to a new OpenPGP key, please see: http://www.hellion.org.uk/key-transition-2011-04-27-2F6BCD59-to-79074FA8.txt /* now make a new head in the exact same spot */ -- Larry Wall in cons.c from the perl source code