From: Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
To: Martin Christian <martin.christian@secunet.com>
Cc: selinux@tycho.nsa.gov
Subject: Re: Sec context of unix domain sockets
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:02:56 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 15:12 +0200, Martin Christian wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> you pointed me into the right direction: We have a startup log daemon
> which gets replaced by syslog at the end of the boot process. The AVC
> message occurs when /dev/log still belongs to the startup log daemon.
> Thanks for your hint!
>
> What I was missing all the time during my investigation was a tool,
> which displays the security labels of unix domain sockets. Is there
> nothing like this around? netstat doesn't seem to support selinux labels
> (an option -Z), does it? Maybe I could reserve some time in our schedule
> to add such an option to netstat.

The Fedora netstat program has a -Z option, but the implementation
appears to read the context of the owning process
(via /proc/<pid>/attr/current), not necessarily the context of the
individual socket.  Not sure you can get to that information from any
process other than the owning one without reading kernel memory.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency