On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 01:14 -0700, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote: > On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 05:26, Jeff Kirsher wrote: > > --- /dev/null > > +++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/amd/Kconfig > > @@ -0,0 +1,188 @@ > > +# > > +# AMD network device configuration > > +# > > + > > +config NET_VENDOR_AMD > > + bool "AMD devices" > > + depends on DIO || MACH_DECSTATION || MVME147 || ATARI || SUN3 || \ > > + SUN3X || SBUS || PCI || ZORRO || (ISA && ISA_DMA_API) || \ > > + (ARM && ARCH_EBSA110) || ISA || EISA || MCA || PCMCIA > > Do you really need this big dependency? It will be true in almost all > cases anyway, > and the individual driver options are protected by other dependencies. > Just enabling this option doesn't make the kernel bigger. My thought behind this was from the standpoint, if I have system/arch which is not listed here and I am using menuconfig, I would not want to see an option listed that does not have any value or drivers which I could select. > > > + ---help--- > > + If you have a network (Ethernet) chipset belonging to this class, > > + say Y. > > + > > + Note that the answer to this question does not directly affect > > + the kernel: saying N will just case the configurator to skip all > > + the questions regarding AMD chipsets. If you say Y, you will be asked > > + for your specific chipset/driver in the following questions. > > + > > +config A2065 > > + tristate "A2065 support" > > + depends on NET_VENDOR_AMD && ZORRO > > What about putting all driver sections inside "if NET_VENDOR_AMD" / > "endif", so the > individual driver configs don't need to depend on NET_VENDOR_AMD anymore? Your right, I could have done that instead. I saw examples of both in the current Kconfig's and I chose this one mainly because there were several drivers already using this model, not that it was any better than what you are suggesting. Personally, after doing all the work, I do like your suggestion because it would make it easier for adding drivers in the future, where they would not have to "remember to add the NET_VENDOR_* to the driver Kconfig dependency. > > The rest looks fine to me. > > Gr{oetje,eeting}s, > > Geert > > -- > Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@linux-m68k.org > > In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But > when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that. > -- Linus Torvalds