From: Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
To: russell@coker.com.au
Cc: SE-Linux <selinux@tycho.nsa.gov>
Subject: Re: install
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:40:24 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 22:59 +1000, Russell Coker wrote:

> I've reported a bug against coreutils regarding the SE Linux support in
> install(1).  In summary my main problem is that there is no way of using
> install to copy a file without bothering with it's SE Linux context.  For
> creating Debian packages (which can't store SE Linux contexts) I don't want to
> set the context to some specific value (which would differ depending on who
> builds it) and "preserving" the context won't always work either (EG I could
> use install(1) to copy a file to which I have read-only access).
>
> As well as this it's not documented well enough.

Looks like if you give it a relative path as the target, it won't try to
set the context, because it doesn't apply realpath(), unlike restorecon,
and matchpathcon() will always fail on a relative path as all of the
file_contexts pathname regexes begin with a slash.  Not sure if that was
intentional or not.

Anyway, how do you address the same issue for the package manager (dpkg
or rpm)?  Is there a way to suppress setting of the security context
when rpm or dpkg unpacks a package?

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency