Am Dienstag, den 23.08.2011, 11:42 +0200 schrieb Kristian Amlie: > On 08/23/11 11:22, Daniel Mack wrote: > > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Paul Menzel wrote: […] > >> … and ask the manufacturer about GNU/Linux support. > >> > >> Something like, you bought the hardware and expect it to work > >> everywhere. Additionally they make money by selling the hardware and not > >> developing a driver, so they should publish the documentation and even > >> pay someone – like Daniel or Clemens ? – to write the support for their > >> hardware. (Only when they say they do not have any money or something > >> like that, you can also tell them to donate/provide free hardware for > >> the developer and a contact address to their M$ Windows developer for > >> questions.) > > > > While I agree in general to your points, I think its not worth the > > effort in this particular case. It's probably very easy to add support > > for this by just sending one magic usb_control_msg up-front, and it's > > not complicated to sniff that value. From a customer standpoint, > > again, I'm sure the manufacturer will just state that they didn't > > promise any Linux support, and so you can't claim it. > > Their homepage states "We are currently in the final phase of > development in making all of our instruments class compliant.", which I > take to mean that they want their future products to use a standard MIDI > interface. Right now, Windows 7 and Vista 64 users are also left in the > dark, so I think they are as eager to fix this as we are, they just > decided to do it on the hardware side instead of the software side. Still sending a message to them, would be good in my opinion. 1. It shows them, that people are using their devices on GNU/Linux and that their decision to make it class compliant is a good move. 2. If they want to change that, maybe they are even releasing the necessary documentation so you can save your time installing Windows. Thanks, Paul