* Samsung Series 9 seems to require acpi=nonvs to resume properly
@ 2011-09-29 20:51 Zan Lynx
From: Zan Lynx @ 2011-09-29 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rjw; +Cc: linux-kernel

After being annoyed that the latest Fedora 2.6.40 (aka 3.0 something)
kernels would not suspend/resume on my laptop I followed a Ubuntu forum
suggestion to use acpi=nonvs. This worked, or at least it is working
today with Fedora 15's 2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64.

The system is also booting via UEFI if that makes any difference.

I understand that there is a no-NVS blacklist in the kernel. Should the
Samsung Series 9 be added to this list? Or could it be a different
suspend/resume problem entirely? I ask because resume used to work with
the 2.6.39 kernels, although it was flaky and would sometimes lock up.

This seems to be the necessary information for the blacklist, taken from dmidecode:

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
        Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
        Product Name: 90X3A
        Version: 0.1
        Serial Number: CZPR93GB301834
        UUID: 249F9300-1DD2-11B2-8000-89C120F0C461
        Wake-up Type: APM Timer
        SKU Number: System SKUNumber
        Family: HuronRiver System

I can make this into a patch if necessary (drivers/acpi/sleep.c,
right?). I am not /entirely/ sure it is the correct fix.

--
Knowledge Is Power
Power Corrupts

* Re: Samsung Series 9 seems to require acpi=nonvs to resume properly
@ 2011-09-30 20:09 ` Zan Lynx
From: Zan Lynx @ 2011-09-30 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rjw; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 14:51 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
> After being annoyed that the latest Fedora 2.6.40 (aka 3.0 something)
> kernels would not suspend/resume on my laptop I followed a Ubuntu forum
> suggestion to use acpi=nonvs. This worked, or at least it is working
> today with Fedora 15's 2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64.
>
> The system is also booting via UEFI if that makes any difference.
>
> I understand that there is a no-NVS blacklist in the kernel. Should the
> Samsung Series 9 be added to this list? Or could it be a different
> suspend/resume problem entirely?

Please ignore this about nonvs. nonvs has nothing to do with the
suspend/resume problem on this laptop.

Instead it seems to involve reboots, which is crazy. From a cold
power-on start, suspend resume will always fail. But if the laptop is
rebooted first, suspend and resume appear to work. What the heck? I have
no clue how to debug this.

So now it appears that everything I ever tried to fix this only seemed
to work because I rebooted after changing GRUB or module options.

--

@ 2011-09-30 20:22   ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2011-09-30 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zan Lynx; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Friday, September 30, 2011, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 14:51 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
> > After being annoyed that the latest Fedora 2.6.40 (aka 3.0 something)
> > kernels would not suspend/resume on my laptop I followed a Ubuntu forum
> > suggestion to use acpi=nonvs. This worked, or at least it is working
> > today with Fedora 15's 2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64.
> >
> > The system is also booting via UEFI if that makes any difference.
> >
> > I understand that there is a no-NVS blacklist in the kernel. Should the
> > Samsung Series 9 be added to this list? Or could it be a different
> > suspend/resume problem entirely?
>
> Please ignore this about nonvs. nonvs has nothing to do with the
> suspend/resume problem on this laptop.
>
> Instead it seems to involve reboots, which is crazy. From a cold
> power-on start, suspend resume will always fail. But if the laptop is
> rebooted first, suspend and resume appear to work. What the heck? I have
> no clue how to debug this.
>
> So now it appears that everything I ever tried to fix this only seemed
> to work because I rebooted after changing GRUB or module options.

What graphics is there in the system?

Rafael

* Re: Samsung Series 9 seems to require acpi=nonvs to resume properly
@ 2011-09-30 20:34     ` Zan Lynx
From: Zan Lynx @ 2011-09-30 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 22:22 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Friday, September 30, 2011, Zan Lynx wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 14:51 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
> > > After being annoyed that the latest Fedora 2.6.40 (aka 3.0 something)
> > > kernels would not suspend/resume on my laptop I followed a Ubuntu forum
> > > suggestion to use acpi=nonvs. This worked, or at least it is working
> > > today with Fedora 15's 2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64.
> > >
> > > The system is also booting via UEFI if that makes any difference.
> > >
> > > I understand that there is a no-NVS blacklist in the kernel. Should the
> > > Samsung Series 9 be added to this list? Or could it be a different
> > > suspend/resume problem entirely?
> >
> > Please ignore this about nonvs. nonvs has nothing to do with the
> > suspend/resume problem on this laptop.
> >
> > Instead it seems to involve reboots, which is crazy. From a cold
> > power-on start, suspend resume will always fail. But if the laptop is
> > rebooted first, suspend and resume appear to work. What the heck? I have
> > no clue how to debug this.
> >
> > So now it appears that everything I ever tried to fix this only seemed
> > to work because I rebooted after changing GRUB or module options.
>
> What graphics is there in the system?

It is the Intel i915 driver. It is an Intel i5-2537M system with the
integrated video on the CPU.

lspci shows it as:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core
Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00
[VGA controller])

--

@ 2011-09-30 20:50       ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2011-09-30 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zan Lynx; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Friday, September 30, 2011, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 22:22 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Please ignore this about nonvs. nonvs has nothing to do with the
> > > suspend/resume problem on this laptop.
> > >
> > > Instead it seems to involve reboots, which is crazy. From a cold
> > > power-on start, suspend resume will always fail. But if the laptop is
> > > rebooted first, suspend and resume appear to work. What the heck? I have
> > > no clue how to debug this.
> > >
> > > So now it appears that everything I ever tried to fix this only seemed
> > > to work because I rebooted after changing GRUB or module options.
> >
> > What graphics is there in the system?
>
> It is the Intel i915 driver. It is an Intel i5-2537M system with the
> integrated video on the CPU.
>
> lspci shows it as:
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core
> Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00
> [VGA controller])

Well, that should work.  I'm afraid I can't help you with this issue.

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: Samsung Series 9 seems to require acpi=nonvs to resume properly
@ 2011-09-30 21:01       ` Keith Packard
From: Keith Packard @ 2011-09-30 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zan Lynx, Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 14:34:46 -0600, Zan Lynx <zlynx@acm.org> wrote:

> It is the Intel i915 driver. It is an Intel i5-2537M system with the
> integrated video on the CPU.

You might compare the output of intel_reg_dumper in the
working/not-working case before the i915 driver loads.

--
keith.packard@intel.com

* Re: Samsung Series 9 seems to require acpi=nonvs to resume properly
@ 2011-10-03  7:05   ` Srivatsa S. Bhat
From: Srivatsa S. Bhat @ 2011-10-03  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zan Lynx; +Cc: rjw, linux-kernel

On 10/01/2011 01:39 AM, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 14:51 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
>> After being annoyed that the latest Fedora 2.6.40 (aka 3.0 something)
>> kernels would not suspend/resume on my laptop I followed a Ubuntu forum
>> suggestion to use acpi=nonvs. This worked, or at least it is working
>> today with Fedora 15's 2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64.
>>
>> The system is also booting via UEFI if that makes any difference.
>>
>> I understand that there is a no-NVS blacklist in the kernel. Should the
>> Samsung Series 9 be added to this list? Or could it be a different
>> suspend/resume problem entirely?
>
> Please ignore this about nonvs. nonvs has nothing to do with the
> suspend/resume problem on this laptop.
>
> Instead it seems to involve reboots, which is crazy. From a cold
> power-on start, suspend resume will always fail. But if the laptop is
> rebooted first, suspend and resume appear to work. What the heck? I have
> no clue how to debug this.

Could you provide any error logs you found? That could give us a clue as to
what is going wrong...

> So now it appears that everything I ever tried to fix this only seemed
> to work because I rebooted after changing GRUB or module options.

Srivatsa S. Bhat  <srivatsa.bhat@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
Linux Technology Center,
IBM India Systems and Technology Lab

* Re: Samsung Series 9 won't resume