On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 09:59 -0600, Gross, Andy wrote: > On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 6:05 AM, Tomi Valkeinen wrote: > > > > Does this "DMM has become synonymous" mean that people just started > > calling TILER DMM, and thus the name has stuck, or are there technical > > reasons to handle it as DMM in the kernel? If the former, and if TILER > > is the technically exact name for it, perhaps it would make sense to > > call it TILER, as that's what (at least I) would be looking for if I > > read the TRM and try to find the code for the TILER. > > > > Tomi > > Well the breakdown of the DMM/Tiler kind of goes like this. The DMM > defines a set of registers used to manipulate the PAT table that backs > the address space with physical memory. The Tiler portion of the DMM > really just describes the address space that is exposed. Depending on > what address range you access, you'll get a different mode of access > and rotation. Management of the address space is attributed to the > Tiler as well and that is where we have managed the address space and > provided APIs to reserve address space and pin/unpin memory to those > regions. > > From a hardware perspective, we need access to the resources provided > by the DMM so that we can do the PAT programming and that can only be > gotten from the hwmod entry. And if you use the hwmod device entry, > you have to match the name used for that entry. Ok. Thanks for the detailed explanation =). Tomi