* 1G huge pages in Linux guest VM
@ 2012-05-08 18:38 Sriram Murthy
From: Sriram Murthy @ 2012-05-08 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hi,
   I wanted to know if we can pass a hugetlbfs with pagesize=1G created on the host to a Linux guest (The host is running RHEL 6.2 - x86_64 on Intel Westmere)?.
   I am using RHEL 6.2 on the host and guest and the processor that has been passed by KVM to the guest is Intel Westmere and has the pdpe1gb flag set. Does this mean that the guest supports 1G huge pages?

Thanks,
Sriram

* Re: 1G huge pages in Linux guest VM
@ 2012-05-09  9:55 ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2012-05-09  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sriram Murthy; +Cc: kvm

On 05/08/2012 09:38 PM, Sriram Murthy wrote:
> Hi,
>    I wanted to know if we can pass a hugetlbfs with pagesize=1G created on the host to a Linux guest (The host is running RHEL 6.2 - x86_64 on Intel Westmere)?.

Yes, this is supported.

>    I am using RHEL 6.2 on the host and guest and the processor that has been passed by KVM to the guest is Intel Westmere and has the pdpe1gb flag set. Does this mean that the guest supports 1G huge pages?

Yes.  Note 1gb hugepages on the guest are supported even if not provided
by the host (of course the performance improvement will be smaller).

* Re: 1G huge pages in Linux guest VM
@ 2012-05-10 15:53   ` Sriram Murthy
From: Sriram Murthy @ 2012-05-10 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

If I have a mix of 2M and 1G pages on the host, how will I be able to pass the same to the guest?. Does KVM and Libvirtd allow multiple -mem-path options?.
Also, where in the source can I find more info about hugepage support in KVM?
Thanks and regards,
Sriram

@ 2012-05-15  2:53     ` Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2012-05-15  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sriram Murthy; +Cc: kvm

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 08:53:33AM -0700, Sriram Murthy wrote:
> If I have a mix of 2M and 1G pages on the host, how will I be able to pass the same to the guest?. Does KVM and Libvirtd allow multiple -mem-path options?.
> Also, where in the source can I find more info about hugepage support in KVM?
> Thanks and regards,
> Sriram

You can't, only a single large page size is supported for guest RAM.