From: "Merav Sicron" <meravs@broadcom.com>
To: "Jean-Michel Hautbois" <jhautbois@gmail.com>
Cc: netdev <netdev@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: UDP ordering when using multiple rx queue
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 14:08:59 +0300	[thread overview]

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 00:53 -0700, Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:

> Several tests lead to a simple conclusion : when the NIC has only one
> RX queue, everything is ok (like be2net for instance), but when it has
> more than one RX queue, then I can have "lost packets".
> This is the case for bnx2x or mlx4 for instance.
>From what you describe I assume that you use different source IP /
destination IP in each packet - is this something that you can control?
Because with the same IP addresses the traffic will be steered to the
same queue.

> Here are my questions :
> - Is it possible to force a driver to use only one rx queue, even if
> it can use more without reloading the driver (and this is feasible
> only when a parameter exists for that !) ?
You can reduce the number of queues using "ethtool -L ethX combined 1".
Note however that it will cause automatic driver unload/load.

Thanks,
Merav