From: Khalid Aziz <khalid.aziz@hp.com>
To: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com>
Cc: joeyli <jlee@suse.com>,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, linux-efi@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: UEFI Secure boot using qemu-kvm
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:55:36 -0600	[thread overview]

On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 10:41 +0100, James Bottomley wrote:
> Actually, I just ran into this too.  Apparently libefi.a needs to be
> build with -fno-stack-protector ... at least that's where the problem is
> coming from in my environment.  I don't have an ubuntu system to check,
> but to verify this is your issue, try:
>
> nm -D /usr/lib/libefi.a | grep __stack_chk_fail
>
> (or whatever your path is to libefi.a) ... probably you should also
> check libgnuefi.a, although this one is clear in my setup.

On Ubuntu, it is coming from lib/lib.a. It so happens that "make clean"
does not descend into lib/ and remove *.o and lib.a. So, I added
"-fno-stack-protector" to top level Makefile, ran "make clean" followed
by make and it didn't help because I continuesd to use the old lib.a.
Now that I have realized it, I added "(cd lib; rm -f *.o lib.a)" to the
clean target in toplevel Makefile and ran a "make clean". After this
lib/Makefile inherited -fno-stack-protector in CFLAGS from Make.rules
and everything builds correctly now.

--
Khalid Aziz <khalid.aziz@hp.com>