There are two things git archive is missing that are needed in my use case: First, git archive in combination with tar won't remove unneeded files. You have to run rm -rf before manually which brings me to the next point; git archive can't really make incremental updates. Consider an export that overwrites a tree that resembles the state of an export two commits before and contains a lot of files. I don't like to idea of needing to remove all files and write all of them again just to change one or two lines. Perhaps my real problem is not "export" but rather "Can I have multiple work trees with multiple checked out revisions?"... Am Samstag, den 09.02.2013, 19:45 -0800 schrieb Junio C Hamano: > Junio C Hamano writes: > > > I am not Phil, but if you ask me, I think it is borderline between > > "meh" and "no way we would give a short-and-sweet -i to something > > like this". > > I think one reason it was "meh" for me is that we never did an > equivalent of "cvs export" and "svn export", primarily because > we had "tar-tree" (aka "archive --format=tar") first, and it was > sufficient to pipe its outputto "tar xf -" if somebody wanted to do > the non-existent "git export". Also "tar-tree" was more useful for > people who wanted to eventually want to have a tarball (you can > first "export" and then "tar cf" the resulting directory). > > But I think it is fine to add "git export ", > which may look like this, perhaps. > > #!/bin/sh > # git export > rev=${1?revision} dir=${2?directory} > . $(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup > > mkdir -p "$dir" || exit > git archive --format=tar "$rev" | > tar Cxf "$dir" - >