* Xen VGA Passthrough - GTX 680 successfully hard-moded to GRID K2
@ 2013-09-23 17:28 David TECHER
From: David TECHER @ 2013-09-23 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gordan; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel

Hi Gordan,

I wanted to let you know that today I decided to have a try for my GTX 680. Gigabite GTX 680 2048 MB GDDR5.

I know that this particular card could be hard-moded to GRID K2 so VGA passthrough could work.

Following instructions found on http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/420/ I just removed two resistors.

Here is a screenshot taken from a VM (Ubuntu 12.04 32 bits) with more 8GB of RAM.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/420/

I did the test on another VM (Windows 7 64 bits).  I was able to play games, shutdown the VM, restart the VM without restarting the dom0.

I am very impressed. Restarting domU (Linux or Windows) without restarting the dom0 is very impressive.

I just added a youtube video about my tests for my hard-moded card

http://youtu.be/L1RoOx8wC7A

Apologies I am French so I am speaking in French in the video. Just to show that it works perfectly.

Kind regards.

* Re: Xen VGA Passthrough - GTX 680 successfully hard-moded to GRID K2
@ 2013-09-23 17:35 ` David TECHER
       [not found]   ` <20130924151253.GF2924@reaktio.net>
From: David TECHER @ 2013-09-23 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David TECHER, gordan; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel

Apologies I forgot to add the image from Linux

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/528734ScreenshotXen430GTX680HardmodedGRIDK2.png

________________________________
 De : David TECHER <davidtecher@yahoo.fr>
À : "gordan@bobich.net" <gordan@bobich.net>
Cc : "xen-users@lists.xen.org" <xen-users@lists.xen.org>; "xen-devel@lists.xen.org" <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>
Envoyé le : Lundi 23 septembre 2013 19h28
Objet : [Xen-devel] Xen VGA Passthrough - GTX 680 successfully hard-moded	to GRID K2

@ 2013-09-23 18:53 ` Gordan Bobic
From: Gordan Bobic @ 2013-09-23 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: xen-users

On 09/23/2013 06:28 PM, David TECHER wrote:
> Hi Gordan,
>
> I wanted to let you know that today I decided to have a try for my GTX
> 680. Gigabite GTX 680 2048 MB GDDR5.
>
> I know that this particular card could be hard-moded to GRID K2 so VGA
> passthrough could work.

FYI, GTX680 modified to a K5000 also works fine for VGA passthrough. I
haven't noticed any difference in the functionality.

> Following instructions found on
> http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/420/
> I just removed two resistors.

Just out of interest - are your video outputs working correctly? Can you
get DL-DVI output or DP output without problems? I find that on bare
metal, it works fine, but in a Xen VM, SL-DVI works, but DL-DVI doesn't.
DP also works on bare metal, but doesn't work at all domU.

As far as I can tell, nobody has had the same issue before. Then again,
AFAIK, nobody else is running this setup with an XP64 domU, which is why
I am particularly interested to hear if you are seeing the same issue
(you mentioned you also run XP64).

> I did the test on another VM (Windows 7 64 bits).  I was able to play
> games, shutdown the VM, restart the VM without restarting the dom0.
>
> I am very impressed. Restarting domU (Linux or Windows) without
> restarting the dom0 is very impressive.

Indeed. As I have mentioned a number of times before, a faux-Quadro
setup is far, far superior to an ATI setup when it comes to VGA passthrough.

And I wouldn't say it's impressive per se - it is normal and expected.
OTOH, having to reboot dom0 when rebooting domU is utterly broken and
unfit for purpose.

Gordan

* Re: Xen VGA Passthrough - GTX 680 successfully hard-moded to GRID K2
       [not found]     ` <0a0befc680ec51e540f6de1c3e59beba@mail.shatteredsilicon.net>
@ 2013-09-24 21:47       ` David TECHER
       [not found]       ` <1380052012.28711.YahooMailNeo@web172005.mail.ir2.yahoo.com>
From: David TECHER @ 2013-09-24 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gordan Bobic, Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel

Trying to resend this mail!

TO PASI

Xen 4.3.0 is used without any patch.
For both GTX680/GRIDK2 and GTX480/Quadro6000
=======================================

- VM = Linux 32/64: I can set RAM > 3GB. Playing games, watchings videos etc...All is fine!

- VM = Win 7 64: I can set RAM > 3GB. Playign games, watchings videos etc...All is fine!

-
 VM = Win XP 64: if I   set RAM > 3GB then the VM get slower. VM gets
 slower once NVIDIA driver is installed and that I restarted thsi VM :(.
 I tried a couple of things but unfortunately I was not to fix it.
Setting RAM <= 3GB for Win XP 64 I had a nice VM to play games, watch
 videos etc... XP 64 is a bit pain!

GTX480/Quadro 6000:
=================
As

 Gordan said it is not doable to restart the domU (well known issue!).
But the soft-moded card could be interesting for playing games . I test
Gordan's method on two differents
 cards and it works pretty well!

If restarting dom0 is not a problem then here is a (not-updated) link

http://www.davidgis.fr/blog/index.php?2013/09/18/969-xen-430-vga-passthrough-gtx-480-soft-moded-to-quadro-6000

GTX680/GRIDK2:  Gigabyte GV N680OC-2GD
====================================

With GTX680 hard-moded I "tried" GRIDK2 -- not K5000 --.

If you have and_only_if you have  a Gigabyte GV N680OC-2GD

there are two SMD resistors to remove as explained by reading two messages

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/msg207550/#msg207550
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/msg207795/#msg207795

Just take of  where resistors are located  in the image below (I am not the author of this image!)

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/?action=dlattach;attach=43392;image

Removing SMD resistors could be done without any soldering iron :). Those components are the easiest to remove. It could be done using tweezers and a fire source.

I did it using a knife and a candle (old school).

For K5000 a soldering iron is required! (not tested!)

=========================================================================================================================

TO GORDAN

GTX 680/GRIDK2: DL-DVI/DP/SL-DVI
================================

I don't really if the following test will reply to your question but here are the connectors I tested on my card

http://www.davidgis.fr/download/GTX680_Outputs.jpg

3 Connectors have been tested. I will try here to share a complete/idiot test  I did. Here is a minor issue I found

Output A=>  DVI-I Connector
The dom0 has just started. There are two VMs (one XP 64 and one Win 7 64)

Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Restart XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start Win7 64 ...OK--> Screen works!
Stop Win 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start XP 64...KO ---> Black screen!!!
xl destroy for this VM. And VM Win 7 64 can start properly...Screen works

Output B => DVI Connector
-------------------------------------
The dom0 has just started. There are two VMs (one XP 64 and one Win 7 64)
Start XP 64...OK --> Screen works!

Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Restart XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start Win7 64 ...OK--> Screen works!
Stop Win7 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start XP 64...KO ---> Black screen!!!
xl destroy for this VM. And Win 7 64 can start properly...Screen works

Output C ==> mini HDMI

--------------------------------
The dom0 has just started. There are two VMs (one XP 64 and one Win 7 64)
Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Restart XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start Win7 64 ...OK--> Screen works!
Stop Win7 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start XP 64...KO --> Black Screen.
xl destroy for this VM. And Win 7 64 can start properly...Screen works

Conclusion: whatever the connector is it seems doable to restart XP 64 ( no switch to Win 7 64!)

For GTX480/Quadro 6000
====================

The latest VMs I set up were a VM Win 7 64 and a VM Win XP 64. ( = 2 VMs)

- gfx_passthru=0 while setting up the VM -- before installing NVIDIA
drivers. While VMs were setting up I used (native) VNC connection.
(vnc=1)

- gfx_passthru=1 once NVIDIA driver was installed.
No patch was used!

@ 2013-09-25  7:59         ` Gordan Bobic
From: Gordan Bobic @ 2013-09-25  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David TECHER; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel

 On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 20:46:52 +0100 (BST), David TECHER
 <davidtecher@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> - VM = Win XP 64: if I set RAM > 3GB then the VM get slower. VM gets
> slower once NVIDIA driver is installed and that I restarted thsi VM
> :(. I tried a couple of things but unfortunately I was not to fix it.

 That is really weird - I haven't observed any obvious slowdown
 related to memory amount in XP64.

> Setting RAM  DVI-I Connector
> The dom0 has just started. There are two VMs (one XP 64 and one Win 7
> 64)
>
> Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Restart XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Start Win7 64 ...OK--> Screen works!
> Stop Win 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Start XP 64...KO ---> Black screen!!!
> xl destroy for this VM. And VM Win 7 64 can start properly...Screen
> works
>
> Output B => DVI Connector
> -------------------------------------
> The dom0 has just started. There are two VMs (one XP 64 and one Win 7
> 64)
> Start XP 64...OK --> Screen works!
>
> Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Restart XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Start Win7 64 ...OK--> Screen works!
> Stop Win7 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Start XP 64...KO ---> Black screen!!!
> xl destroy for this VM. And Win 7 64 can start properly...Screen
> works
>
> Output C ==> mini HDMI
>
> --------------------------------
> The dom0 has just started. There are two VMs (one XP 64 and one Win 7
> 64)
> Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Restart XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Start Win7 64 ...OK--> Screen works!
> Stop Win7 64...OK--> Screen works!
> Start XP 64...KO --> Black Screen.
> xl destroy for this VM. And Win 7 64 can start properly...Screen
> works
>
> Conclusion: whatever the connector is it seems doable to restart XP
> 64
> ( no switch to Win 7 64!)

 This is presumably with the GTX680?
 So it seems to not work is booting XP64 AFTER using Win7.

 What I was asking was a little different, though, and
 specific to using dual-link DVI vs. single-link. You do,
 however, seem to be able to use display-port, which
 answers a part of my question, since that doesn't work
 for me at all.

 Let me recap the problem. I only get this on the GTX680
 (Quadrified to K5000 or Gridified to K2, happens in both
 cases) in domU. It does NOT happen with a GTX470/480 modified
 to Q5000/Q6000. On bare metal the modified GTX680 works fine,
 the issue does not arise. I only tried this on XP64, not
 attempted on Win7.

 Setup:
 - Xen 4.3.0
 - XP64 domU
 - GTX680 modified to K5000

 Symptoms:
 1) Using a VGA monitor works fine.
 2) Using a single-link DVI monitor works fine.
 3) Using a monitor capable of dual-link DVI modes but in low
 resolution where the card negotiates only a SL-DVI mode
 (<= 1280x800 on my Dell 3007WFP) works fine.
 4) Using a DL-DVI monitor with high resolution modes
 requiring DL-DVI link results in a blank screen (monitor goes
 to sleep immediately)
 5) DisplayPort use with active DL-DVI adapter results in
 monitor going to sleep in ANY mode (low or high res).

 In all cases the monitor is identified correctly and it's
 specific modes are listed.

 So to re-iterate the question - do you have a DL-DVI
 monitor you can try connecting to your GTX680 and see
 if DL modes work from domU XP64? Note: 1920x1200@60Hz
 is achievable using SL-DVI with reduced blanking so not
 all monitors that do 1920x1200 are necessarily DL-DVI.
 You can check this by looking at the Xorg log file if you
 are using the monitor on Linux, it should tell you what
 bandwidth is used for the mode. If if it is over 165MHz,
 it MUST be DL, if it is below, it may well be SL.

> For GTX480/Quadro 6000
> ====================
>
> The latest VMs I set up were a VM Win 7 64 and a VM Win XP 64. ( = 2
> VMs)
>
> - gfx_passthru=0 while setting up the VM -- before installing NVIDIA
> drivers. While VMs were setting up I used (native) VNC connection.
> (vnc=1)
>
> - gfx_passthru=1 once NVIDIA driver was installed.
>
> No patch was used!

 Hang on - are you saying that once the Nvidia driver is installed
 you can use gfx_passthry=1 an you get the SeaBIOS output and the
 boot-up Windows animaption on the domU monitor, rather than on
 the VNC console? Is your passthrough GPU the primary in dom0?

 Also note that if you have modified the GTX680 to a Grid K2 (well,
 half of a Grid K2), you can actually soft-mod it using a similar
 method to the Fermi (4xx series) cards to K5000 (not that there
 is much point, mind you). You just have to modify both the
 UEFI straps in the UEFI header and the BIOS straps in the normal
 BIOS wrapped into all that UEFI garbage (UEFI header is 1024 bytes,
 or 0x400 bytes in hex). Or you could just strip out the first 0x400
 bytes from the BIOS and all the trailing UEFI garbage after a
 little under 64KB - you can tell where the trailing padding starts
 by the fact it's all 0xFF filled). At the very bottom are the UEFI
 crypto certs which can also be removed.

 But if you have gfx_passthrough=1 working without side-loading
 the BIOS with the 64KB limitation, there is probably no point in
 doing this.

 Gordan

* Re: [Xen-users]  Xen VGA Passthrough - GTX 680 successfully hard-moded to GRID K2
@ 2013-09-25 15:10           ` David TECHER
From: David TECHER @ 2013-09-25 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gordan Bobic; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel

Gordan,

>Let me recap the problem. I only get this on the GTX680
>(Quadrified to K5000 or Gridified to K2, happens in both
>cases) in domU. It does NOT happen with a GTX470/480 modified
>to Q5000/Q6000. On bare metal the modified GTX680 works fine,
>the issue does not arise. I only tried this on XP64, not
>attempted on Win7.

"DL-DVI" for me means Dual Link DVI.
Yes I have a DL-DVI capable monitor (Resolution: 2560x1440).  I don't have monitor with Resolution = 2560x1600

Using
- my DL-DVI monitor( = the Dual Link connector on my graphic card GTX680 is connected through  a Dual Link cable to my DL-DVI montior)
-my GTX 680 gridified to K2
-  high resolutions (2560x1440)

my domU XP64  is able to boot properly. High resolutions is taken into account

To avoid any misunderstanding I added a short youtube video where   my configuration file is printed out and where the domU XP 64 is started, shutdown. After that the domU XP64 is restarted.

http://youtu.be/UgIuPED-h44

No black screen when the domU is started.

>Hang on - are you saying that once the Nvidia driver is installed
>you can use gfx_passthry=1 an you get the SeaBIOS output and the
>boot-up Windows animaption on the domU monitor, rather than on
>the VNC console? Is your passthrough GPU the primary in dom0?

With gfx_passthru = 1  the boot-up Windows animation is on the VNC console.

________________________________
 De : Gordan Bobic <gordan@bobich.net>
À : David TECHER <davidtecher@yahoo.fr>
Cc : xen-users@lists.xen.org; Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@iki.fi>; xen-devel@lists.xen.org
Envoyé le : Mercredi 25 septembre 2013 9h59

@ 2013-09-25 15:41             ` Gordan Bobic
From: Gordan Bobic @ 2013-09-25 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David TECHER; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel

 On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 16:10:23 +0100 (BST), David TECHER
 <davidtecher@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Gordan,
>
>>Let me recap the problem. I only get this on the GTX680
>  >(Quadrified to K5000 or Gridified to K2, happens in both
>  >cases) in domU. It does NOT happen with a GTX470/480 modified
>  >to Q5000/Q6000. On bare metal the modified GTX680 works fine,
>  >the issue does not arise. I only tried this on XP64, not
>>attempted on Win7.
>
> "DL-DVI" for me means Dual Link DVI.
> Yes I have a DL-DVI capable monitor (Resolution: 2560x1440). I don't
> have monitor with Resolution = 2560x1600
>
> Using
> - my DL-DVI monitor( = the Dual Link connector on my graphic card
> GTX680 is connected through a Dual Link cable to my DL-DVI montior)
> -my GTX 680 gridified to K2
> - high resolutions (2560x1440)
>
> my domU XP64 is able to boot properly. High resolutions is taken into
> account

 Right, OK. So you can achieve the DL-DVI mode without problems on your
 setup. Which means the problem isn't universally applicable to
 Xen 4.3.0 + modified GTX680 + XP64 domU. Which begs the question of
 what is different about my setup...

> To avoid any misunderstanding I added a short youtube video where my
> configuration file is printed out and where the domU XP 64 is
> started,
> shutdown. After that the domU XP64 is restarted.
>
> http://youtu.be/UgIuPED-h44
>
> No black screen when the domU is started.

 The issue on my setup isn't about _starting_ the domU - if I get
 the domU started in low-res mode, changing to a higher res-mode
 puts the monitor to sleep. When the confirmation dialog box times
 out, it reverts back to original low-res mode, and the monitor
 wakes up again.

>>Hang on - are you saying that once the Nvidia driver is installed
>  >you can use gfx_passthry=1 an you get the SeaBIOS output and the
>  >boot-up Windows animaption on the domU monitor, rather than on
>  >the VNC console? Is your passthrough GPU the primary in dom0?
>
> With gfx_passthru = 1 the boot-up Windows animation is on the VNC
> console.

 I _may_ be wrong here, but doesn't the gfx_passthru=1 get ignored
 in that case? If it was working, the BIOS level and bootup output
 should come up on the passthru GPU, should it not? I guess
 gfx_passthru=1 just disables the emulated Cirrus VGA, but in that
 case the boot-up animation shouldn't show up on VNC.

 So I'm not sure what is going on in this case.

@ 2013-09-25 15:45               ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2013-09-25 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gordan Bobic; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel, David TECHER

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 04:41:59PM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:

> >With gfx_passthru = 1 the boot-up Windows animation is on the VNC
> >console.
>
> I _may_ be wrong here, but doesn't the gfx_passthru=1 get ignored
> in that case? If it was working, the BIOS level and bootup output
> should come up on the passthru GPU, should it not? I guess
> gfx_passthru=1 just disables the emulated Cirrus VGA, but in that
> case the boot-up animation shouldn't show up on VNC.
>
> So I'm not sure what is going on in this case.

Correct, with gfx_passthru=1 the physical GPU should show the windows boot animation,
not the cirrus/vnc emulated graphics.

So gfx_passthru=1 is not working, and the GPU is passed as secondary..

-- Pasi

@ 2013-09-25 16:02               ` David TECHER
From: David TECHER @ 2013-09-25 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gordan Bobic; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel

>I _may_ be wrong here, but doesn't the gfx_passthru=1 get ignored
>in that case? If it was working, the BIOS level and bootup output
>should come up on the passthru GPU, should it not? I guess
>gfx_passthru=1 just disables the emulated Cirrus VGA, but in that
>case the boot-up animation shouldn't show up on VNC.

>So I'm not sure what is going on in this case.

Oh No you're right. I am mistaken (Apologies!). The boot-up animation doesn't appear on the VNC console.

I tested it an re-checked it on both XP 64 and Win 7 64.

David

________________________________
 De : Gordan Bobic <gordan@bobich.net>
À : David TECHER <davidtecher@yahoo.fr>
Cc : xen-users@lists.xen.org; Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@iki.fi>; xen-devel@lists.xen.org
Envoyé le : Mercredi 25 septembre 2013 17h41

@ 2013-09-25 16:07                 ` Gordan Bobic
From: Gordan Bobic @ 2013-09-25 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David TECHER; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel

 On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 17:02:59 +0100 (BST), David TECHER
 <davidtecher@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>>I _may_ be wrong here, but doesn't the gfx_passthru=1 get ignored
>  >in that case? If it was working, the BIOS level and bootup output
>  >should come up on the passthru GPU, should it not? I guess
>  >gfx_passthru=1 just disables the emulated Cirrus VGA, but in that
>  >case the boot-up animation shouldn't show up on VNC.
>
>>So I'm not sure what is going on in this case.
>
> Oh No you're right. I am mistaken (Apologies!). The boot-up animation
> doesn't appear on the VNC console.
>
> I tested it an re-checked it on both XP 64 and Win 7 64.

 Right. And since you aren't side-loading the GPU BIOS, I would guess
 the boot-up animation doesn't appear at all. It runs headless right
 up to the point where the GPU driver loads in Windows.

@ 2013-09-25 16:17                   ` David TECHER
From: David TECHER @ 2013-09-25 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gordan Bobic; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel

There is one exception for the boot-up animation if you have a domU where ATI card was installed.

I have a domU Win 7 64 which I use for my previous ATI tests.

After removing my ATI card and putting my GTX 680 back in  this domU I remove AMD driver and I installed NVIDIA driver.

When this domU is starting up the boot-up animation appears only in the VNC console. After that the animation is "frozen" on boot-up animation  in VNC and the Windows screen (login screen) appears in my physical monitor.

This domU above is a different domU than the 2 other domUs (Win XP 64 and Win 7 64) freshly installed.

________________________________
 De : Gordan Bobic <gordan@bobich.net>
À : David TECHER <davidtecher@yahoo.fr>
Cc : xen-users@lists.xen.org; Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@iki.fi>; xen-devel@lists.xen.org
Envoyé le : Mercredi 25 septembre 2013 18h07

@ 2013-09-27 17:11   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2013-09-27 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gordan Bobic; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 07:53:12PM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 09/23/2013 06:28 PM, David TECHER wrote:
> >Hi Gordan,
> >
> >I wanted to let you know that today I decided to have a try for my GTX
> >680. Gigabite GTX 680 2048 MB GDDR5.
> >
> >I know that this particular card could be hard-moded to GRID K2 so VGA
> >passthrough could work.
>
> FYI, GTX680 modified to a K5000 also works fine for VGA passthrough. I
> haven't noticed any difference in the functionality.
>
> >Following instructions found on
> >http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/420/
> >I just removed two resistors.
>
> Just out of interest - are your video outputs working correctly? Can
> you get DL-DVI output or DP output without problems? I find that on
> bare metal, it works fine, but in a Xen VM, SL-DVI works, but DL-DVI
> doesn't. DP also works on bare metal, but doesn't work at all domU.
>
> As far as I can tell, nobody has had the same issue before. Then
> again, AFAIK, nobody else is running this setup with an XP64 domU,
> which is why I am particularly interested to hear if you are seeing
> the same issue (you mentioned you also run XP64).
>
> >I did the test on another VM (Windows 7 64 bits).  I was able to play
> >games, shutdown the VM, restart the VM without restarting the dom0.
> >
> >I am very impressed. Restarting domU (Linux or Windows) without
> >restarting the dom0 is very impressive.
>
> Indeed. As I have mentioned a number of times before, a faux-Quadro
> setup is far, far superior to an ATI setup when it comes to VGA
> passthrough.
>
> And I wouldn't say it's impressive per se - it is normal and
> expected. OTOH, having to reboot dom0 when rebooting domU is utterly
> broken and unfit for purpose.

I am a bit late to this part - was there an serial output or some other
way to figure out why dom0 rebooted?

@ 2013-09-27 17:43     ` Gordan Bobic
From: Gordan Bobic @ 2013-09-27 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel

 On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 13:11:59 -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
 <konrad.wilk@oracle.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 07:53:12PM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> On 09/23/2013 06:28 PM, David TECHER wrote:
>> >Hi Gordan,
>> >
>> >I wanted to let you know that today I decided to have a try for my
>> GTX
>> >680. Gigabite GTX 680 2048 MB GDDR5.
>> >
>> >I know that this particular card could be hard-moded to GRID K2 so
>> VGA
>> >passthrough could work.
>>
>> FYI, GTX680 modified to a K5000 also works fine for VGA passthrough.
>> haven't noticed any difference in the functionality.
>>
>> >Following instructions found on
>>
>> >http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/420/
>> >I just removed two resistors.
>>
>> Just out of interest - are your video outputs working correctly? Can
>> you get DL-DVI output or DP output without problems? I find that on
>> bare metal, it works fine, but in a Xen VM, SL-DVI works, but DL-DVI
>> doesn't. DP also works on bare metal, but doesn't work at all domU.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, nobody has had the same issue before. Then
>> again, AFAIK, nobody else is running this setup with an XP64 domU,
>> which is why I am particularly interested to hear if you are seeing
>> the same issue (you mentioned you also run XP64).
>>
>> >I did the test on another VM (Windows 7 64 bits).  I was able to
>> play
>> >games, shutdown the VM, restart the VM without restarting the dom0.
>> >
>> >I am very impressed. Restarting domU (Linux or Windows) without
>> >restarting the dom0 is very impressive.
>>
>> Indeed. As I have mentioned a number of times before, a faux-Quadro
>> setup is far, far superior to an ATI setup when it comes to VGA
>> passthrough.
>>
>> And I wouldn't say it's impressive per se - it is normal and
>> expected. OTOH, having to reboot dom0 when rebooting domU is utterly
>> broken and unfit for purpose.
>
> I am a bit late to this part - was there an serial output or some
> other
> way to figure out why dom0 rebooted?

 Because I pressed the reset button? :)
 The dom0 didn't reboot, it just crashed and locked up solid.
 And sorry, no serial output or anything useful in the logs.

 One thing that occurs to me is that this could plausibly have
 been a compound problem in my case, between the usual ATI issues
 and my duff IOMMU hardware (hoping to do some more work on those
 patches soon, but I have a more pressing task of getting some
 updates and testing in place for my RedSleeve Linux distro
 (EL6 for ARM) for a client at the moment).

@ 2013-09-28 18:34   ` David Erickson
From: David Erickson @ 2013-09-28 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David TECHER; +Cc: xen-users, gordan, xen-devel

Does HDMI audio work coming from the video card in this sort of setup?

@ 2013-09-28 19:18     ` Gordan Bobic
From: Gordan Bobic @ 2013-09-28 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Erickson; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel, David TECHER

I haven't tried plugging it into a TV to get audio output tested, but
the HDMI audio device gets detected in domU and shows up as functioning
without any issues. So unless somebody has evidence to the contrary, it
almost certainly works just fine.

Gordan