From: Gertjan Hofman <gertjan_hofman@yahoo.com>
To: ath9k-devel@lists.ath9k.org
Subject: [ath9k-devel] unwanted client isolation AR9280 @ 5GHz mode
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 08:11:49 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

Yes,we has to modify regd.c as per the (simple) patch:

wget --no-check- certificate https://dev.openwrt.org/export/32952/trunk/package/mac80211/patches/403-ath_regd_optional.patch

Thats not a pretty solution, but at least it gets us going. The results are really promising in terms of throughput so I need to solve why broadcasts go missing. Any thing I can try in terms of debugging ?

Thanks

Gertjan

On Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:33:43 AM, Oleksij Rempel <linux@rempel-privat.de> wrote:

Hi Gertjan,

suddenly i do not have HW to test it. My ar7010+ar2080 adapter has
blacklisted AP and IBSS modes for all 5GHz channels.

If some one else can answer here, it will be great.

Am 28.11.2013 00:54, schrieb Gertjan Hofman:

> Apologies if this should go to the ath mailing list, but we are not sure where in the stack the problem lies.
>
> On a 3.11 kernel, we are trying to create a AP host using the following? hardware: driver (usb) ath9k_htc: Atheros AR9280 Rev:2 using htc_7010.fw firmware? (1.3, extracted from debian unstable)?? After solving some? regulatory domain issues by patching the ath driver, we can force the card into becoming master at 5 GHz.? However, at? 5GHz, the clients are isolated from each other (can not ping etc).? When we switch back? to 2.4 GHz (making only two changes in the hostapd file, hw_mode=a->g, channel=36->1) the system works as expected.?
>

> Using wireshark/tcpdump I verified that ARP packets are _not_? transmitted from the AP host to other clients. In other words, ARP from? client to AP hosts are resolved ok, but a client trying to resolve the? MAC from another client gets no response and the packet is not seen even on a Windows host running wireshark.? Switch to 2.4 GHz and the ARP packets return.
>

> Looking at mac80211/cfg.c, I see that host isolation is indeed an option.? I? printed the value of IEEE80211_SDATA_DONT_BRIDGE_PACKETS but it is? false as expected.
>

> Can anyone tell me whether this is likely a problem at the mac80211 levelor the firmware ? Are there other settings that kick in a 5? GHz that would not at 2.4 GHz ?
>
> We are quite capable of modifying drivers but have little knowledge of? wireless hardware.? Any information would be much appreciated.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Gertjan
>

> hostapd (v1.1) settings are:
> interface=wlan0
> driver=nl80211
> ssid=MSS-01
> ieee80211n=1
> macaddr_acl=0
> auth_algs=1
> ignore_broadcast_ssid=1
> require_ht=1
> ht_capab=[HT40+][SHORT-GI-40][TXSTBC][RXSTBC123]
> wmm_enabled=1
> hw_mode=a
> channel=36
> country_code=US