* Problem after update windows VirtIO drivers
@ 2013-12-09 14:45 Carlos Rodrigues
From: Carlos Rodrigues @ 2013-12-09 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hello,

After update the VirtIO drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, when
i reboot virtual machine, the windows OS get stuck on loading bar.

The VirtIO drivers is the latest stable that i made the download from
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/stable/virtio-win-0.1-74.iso

And i use version 1.2.1 of kvm and the OS of host is Centos 5.8.

I try to install a fresh and clean version same Windows and same drivers
and get the same problem. With virtio-win-0.1-52 version of drivers, the
windows server works properly.

I will use the oldest stable version of drivers, but anyone knows some
issue with latest drivers?

Carlos Rodrigues

Engenheiro de Software Sénior

Eurotux Informática, S.A. | www.eurotux.com

(t) +351 253 680 300 (m) +351 911 926 110

* Re: Problem after update windows VirtIO drivers
@ 2013-12-09 16:45 ` Alon Levy
From: Alon Levy @ 2013-12-09 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rodrigues, kvm, Vadim Rozenfeld

On 12/09/2013 04:45 PM, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After update the VirtIO drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, when
> i reboot virtual machine, the windows OS get stuck on loading bar.
>
> The VirtIO drivers is the latest stable that i made the download from
> http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/stable/virtio-win-0.1-74.iso
>
> And i use version 1.2.1 of kvm and the OS of host is Centos 5.8.
>
> I try to install a fresh and clean version same Windows and same drivers
> and get the same problem. With virtio-win-0.1-52 version of drivers, the
> windows server works properly.
>
> I will use the oldest stable version of drivers, but anyone knows some
> issue with latest drivers?

I have an issue that also existed with 0.65, on windows 7 64 bit: when I
have qxl enabled as well I get a crash shortly after initialization of
qxl (at the login screen) in a memory management function of the qxl
driver, indicating something overwrote parts of the allocators
accounting structures. When I disable the virtio driver (leaving the
virtio device) the problem goes away.

Vadim, is this a known problem? (sorry for hijacking the thread)

@ 2013-12-09 20:13   ` Cole Robinson
From: Cole Robinson @ 2013-12-09 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alon Levy, Carlos Rodrigues, kvm, Vadim Rozenfeld

On 12/09/2013 11:45 AM, Alon Levy wrote:
> On 12/09/2013 04:45 PM, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> After update the VirtIO drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, when
>> i reboot virtual machine, the windows OS get stuck on loading bar.
>>
>> The VirtIO drivers is the latest stable that i made the download from
>> http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/stable/virtio-win-0.1-74.iso
>>
>> And i use version 1.2.1 of kvm and the OS of host is Centos 5.8.
>>
>> I try to install a fresh and clean version same Windows and same drivers
>> and get the same problem. With virtio-win-0.1-52 version of drivers, the
>> windows server works properly.
>>
>> I will use the oldest stable version of drivers, but anyone knows some
>> issue with latest drivers?
>>

> I have an issue that also existed with 0.65, on windows 7 64 bit: when I
> have qxl enabled as well I get a crash shortly after initialization of
> qxl (at the login screen) in a memory management function of the qxl
> driver, indicating something overwrote parts of the allocators
> accounting structures. When I disable the virtio driver (leaving the
> virtio device) the problem goes away.
>
> Vadim, is this a known problem? (sorry for hijacking the thread)

I'd also recommend filing a bug at Fedora->virtio-win component in
bugzilla.redhat.com where many of the windows guys keep watch.

- Cole

* Re: Problem after update windows VirtIO drivers
@ 2013-12-10  2:24   ` Vadim Rozenfeld
From: Vadim Rozenfeld @ 2013-12-10  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alon Levy; +Cc: Carlos Rodrigues, kvm

On 12/09/2013 04:45 PM, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After update the VirtIO drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, when
> i reboot virtual machine, the windows OS get stuck on loading bar.
>
> The VirtIO drivers is the latest stable that i made the download from
> http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/stable/virtio-win-0.1-74.iso
>
> And i use version 1.2.1 of kvm and the OS of host is Centos 5.8.
>
> I try to install a fresh and clean version same Windows and same drivers
> and get the same problem. With virtio-win-0.1-52 version of drivers, the
> windows server works properly.
>
> I will use the oldest stable version of drivers, but anyone knows some
> issue with latest drivers?

[VR]
Hi Carlos,
Could you please post the QEMU command line as well as output
from 'info pci'

I have an issue that also existed with 0.65, on windows 7 64 bit: when I
have qxl enabled as well I get a crash shortly after initialization of
qxl (at the login screen) in a memory management function of the qxl
driver, indicating something overwrote parts of the allocators
accounting structures. When I disable the virtio driver (leaving the
virtio device) the problem goes away.

Vadim, is this a known problem? (sorry for hijacking the thread)

Does it crash into BSOD? Can you share the crash dump file?

Best regards,
Vadim.

@ 2013-12-10 12:28     ` Carlos Rodrigues
From: Carlos Rodrigues @ 2013-12-10 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vadim Rozenfeld; +Cc: Alon Levy, kvm

Hello Vadim,

I'm using libvirt to help to configure the virtual machines, so the
output of qemu command through libvirt is:

# virsh qemu-monitor-command win-test --hmp --cmd 'info pci'
  Bus  0, device   0, function 0:
    Host bridge: PCI device 8086:1237
      id ""
  Bus  0, device   1, function 0:
    ISA bridge: PCI device 8086:7000
      id ""
  Bus  0, device   1, function 1:
    IDE controller: PCI device 8086:7010
      BAR4: I/O at 0xc0c0 [0xc0cf].
      id ""
  Bus  0, device   1, function 2:
    USB controller: PCI device 8086:7020
      IRQ 5.
      BAR4: I/O at 0xc040 [0xc05f].
      id "usb"
  Bus  0, device   1, function 3:
    Bridge: PCI device 8086:7113
      IRQ 9.
      id ""
  Bus  0, device   2, function 0:
    VGA controller: PCI device 1013:00b8
      BAR0: 32 bit prefetchable memory at 0xfc000000 [0xfdffffff].
      BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf0000 [0xfebf0fff].
      BAR6: 32 bit memory at 0xffffffffffffffff [0x0000fffe].
      id ""
  Bus  0, device   3, function 0:
    Ethernet controller: PCI device 1af4:1000
      IRQ 0.
      BAR0: I/O at 0xc060 [0xc07f].
      BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf1000 [0xfebf1fff].
      BAR6: 32 bit memory at 0xffffffffffffffff [0x0000fffe].
      id "net0"
  Bus  0, device   4, function 0:
    Class 1920: PCI device 1af4:1003
      IRQ 0.
      BAR0: I/O at 0xc080 [0xc09f].
      BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf2000 [0xfebf2fff].
      id "virtio-serial0"
  Bus  0, device   5, function 0:
    SCSI controller: PCI device 1af4:1001
      IRQ 0.
      BAR0: I/O at 0xc000 [0xc03f].
      BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf3000 [0xfebf3fff].
      id "virtio-disk0"
  Bus  0, device   6, function 0:
    Class 0255: PCI device 1af4:1002
      IRQ 5.
      BAR0: I/O at 0xc0a0 [0xc0bf].
      id "balloon0"

@ 2013-12-10 13:29     ` Alon Levy
From: Alon Levy @ 2013-12-10 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vadim Rozenfeld; +Cc: Carlos Rodrigues, kvm

On 12/10/2013 04:24 AM, Vadim Rozenfeld wrote:

> [...]

Yes, the stacktrace is in qxl, like I mentioned (DrvMouseMove) but
that's not happening without the virtio driver being loaded.

http://people.freedesktop.org/~alon/qxl-0.10-18-debug-virtio-0.74.DMP

@ 2013-12-11  8:26       ` Vadim Rozenfeld
From: Vadim Rozenfeld @ 2013-12-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rodrigues; +Cc: Alon Levy, kvm

On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 12:28 +0000, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> Hello Vadim,
>
> I'm using libvirt to help to configure the virtual machines, so the
> output of qemu command through libvirt is:
>
> # virsh qemu-monitor-command win-test --hmp --cmd 'info pci'
>   Bus  0, device   0, function 0:
>     Host bridge: PCI device 8086:1237
>       id ""
>   Bus  0, device   1, function 0:
>     ISA bridge: PCI device 8086:7000
>       id ""
>   Bus  0, device   1, function 1:
>     IDE controller: PCI device 8086:7010
>       BAR4: I/O at 0xc0c0 [0xc0cf].
>       id ""
>   Bus  0, device   1, function 2:
>     USB controller: PCI device 8086:7020
>       IRQ 5.
>       BAR4: I/O at 0xc040 [0xc05f].
>       id "usb"
>   Bus  0, device   1, function 3:
>     Bridge: PCI device 8086:7113
>       IRQ 9.
>       id ""
>   Bus  0, device   2, function 0:
>     VGA controller: PCI device 1013:00b8
>       BAR0: 32 bit prefetchable memory at 0xfc000000 [0xfdffffff].
>       BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf0000 [0xfebf0fff].
>       BAR6: 32 bit memory at 0xffffffffffffffff [0x0000fffe].
>       id ""
>   Bus  0, device   3, function 0:
>     Ethernet controller: PCI device 1af4:1000
>       IRQ 0.
>       BAR0: I/O at 0xc060 [0xc07f].
>       BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf1000 [0xfebf1fff].
>       BAR6: 32 bit memory at 0xffffffffffffffff [0x0000fffe].
>       id "net0"
>   Bus  0, device   4, function 0:
>     Class 1920: PCI device 1af4:1003
>       IRQ 0.
>       BAR0: I/O at 0xc080 [0xc09f].
>       BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf2000 [0xfebf2fff].
>       id "virtio-serial0"
>   Bus  0, device   5, function 0:
>     SCSI controller: PCI device 1af4:1001
>       IRQ 0.
>       BAR0: I/O at 0xc000 [0xc03f].
>       BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf3000 [0xfebf3fff].
>       id "virtio-disk0"

Can you please try switching virtio-blk device to ide and
see if it helps?

Thanks,
Vadim.

@ 2013-12-11  9:27       ` Vadim Rozenfeld
From: Vadim Rozenfeld @ 2013-12-11  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alon Levy; +Cc: Carlos Rodrigues, kvm

On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 15:29 +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
> On 12/10/2013 04:24 AM, Vadim Rozenfeld wrote:

This time it happend in FlushReleaseRing->ReleaseOutput->DebugShowOutput
path.

It is a random crash?
Btw, vioserial is the only one virtio driver in your system.
If you are absolutely positive that the system doesn't crash
without this driver, we can try running it under Driver Verifier
control (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617) mostly interested
in Memory Allocations checks.

Cheers,
Vadim.

@ 2013-12-11  9:46         ` Carlos Rodrigues
From: Carlos Rodrigues @ 2013-12-11  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vadim Rozenfeld; +Cc: Alon Levy, kvm

--

On Qua, 2013-12-11 at 19:26 +1100, Vadim Rozenfeld wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 12:28 +0000, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> > Hello Vadim,
> >
> > I'm using libvirt to help to configure the virtual machines, so the
> > output of qemu command through libvirt is:
> >
> > # virsh qemu-monitor-command win-test --hmp --cmd 'info pci'
> >   Bus  0, device   0, function 0:
> >     Host bridge: PCI device 8086:1237
> >       id ""
> >   Bus  0, device   1, function 0:
> >     ISA bridge: PCI device 8086:7000
> >       id ""
> >   Bus  0, device   1, function 1:
> >     IDE controller: PCI device 8086:7010
> >       BAR4: I/O at 0xc0c0 [0xc0cf].
> >       id ""
> >   Bus  0, device   1, function 2:
> >     USB controller: PCI device 8086:7020
> >       IRQ 5.
> >       BAR4: I/O at 0xc040 [0xc05f].
> >       id "usb"
> >   Bus  0, device   1, function 3:
> >     Bridge: PCI device 8086:7113
> >       IRQ 9.
> >       id ""
> >   Bus  0, device   2, function 0:
> >     VGA controller: PCI device 1013:00b8
> >       BAR0: 32 bit prefetchable memory at 0xfc000000 [0xfdffffff].
> >       BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf0000 [0xfebf0fff].
> >       BAR6: 32 bit memory at 0xffffffffffffffff [0x0000fffe].
> >       id ""
> >   Bus  0, device   3, function 0:
> >     Ethernet controller: PCI device 1af4:1000
> >       IRQ 0.
> >       BAR0: I/O at 0xc060 [0xc07f].
> >       BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf1000 [0xfebf1fff].
> >       BAR6: 32 bit memory at 0xffffffffffffffff [0x0000fffe].
> >       id "net0"
> >   Bus  0, device   4, function 0:
> >     Class 1920: PCI device 1af4:1003
> >       IRQ 0.
> >       BAR0: I/O at 0xc080 [0xc09f].
> >       BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf2000 [0xfebf2fff].
> >       id "virtio-serial0"
> >   Bus  0, device   5, function 0:
> >     SCSI controller: PCI device 1af4:1001
> >       IRQ 0.
> >       BAR0: I/O at 0xc000 [0xc03f].
> >       BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf3000 [0xfebf3fff].
> >       id "virtio-disk0"
>
> Can you please try switching virtio-blk device to ide and
> see if it helps?

When i switch the virtio-blk device to ide i get a bluescreen.

@ 2013-12-11 10:07           ` Vadim Rozenfeld
From: Vadim Rozenfeld @ 2013-12-11 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rodrigues; +Cc: Alon Levy, kvm

--
Carlos Rodrigues

Engenheiro de Software Sénior

Eurotux Informática, S.A. | www.eurotux.com

(t) +351 253 680 300 (m) +351 911 926 110

On Qua, 2013-12-11 at 19:26 +1100, Vadim Rozenfeld wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 12:28 +0000, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> > Hello Vadim,
> >
> > I'm using libvirt to help to configure the virtual machines, so the
> > output of qemu command through libvirt is:
> >
> > # virsh qemu-monitor-command win-test --hmp --cmd 'info pci'
> >   Bus  0, device   0, function 0:
> >     Host bridge: PCI device 8086:1237
> >       id ""
> >   Bus  0, device   1, function 0:
> >     ISA bridge: PCI device 8086:7000
> >       id ""
> >   Bus  0, device   1, function 1:
> >     IDE controller: PCI device 8086:7010
> >       BAR4: I/O at 0xc0c0 [0xc0cf].
> >       id ""
> >   Bus  0, device   1, function 2:
> >     USB controller: PCI device 8086:7020
> >       IRQ 5.
> >       BAR4: I/O at 0xc040 [0xc05f].
> >       id "usb"
> >   Bus  0, device   1, function 3:
> >     Bridge: PCI device 8086:7113
> >       IRQ 9.
> >       id ""
> >   Bus  0, device   2, function 0:
> >     VGA controller: PCI device 1013:00b8
> >       BAR0: 32 bit prefetchable memory at 0xfc000000 [0xfdffffff].
> >       BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf0000 [0xfebf0fff].
> >       BAR6: 32 bit memory at 0xffffffffffffffff [0x0000fffe].
> >       id ""
> >   Bus  0, device   3, function 0:
> >     Ethernet controller: PCI device 1af4:1000
> >       IRQ 0.
> >       BAR0: I/O at 0xc060 [0xc07f].
> >       BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf1000 [0xfebf1fff].
> >       BAR6: 32 bit memory at 0xffffffffffffffff [0x0000fffe].
> >       id "net0"
> >   Bus  0, device   4, function 0:
> >     Class 1920: PCI device 1af4:1003
> >       IRQ 0.
> >       BAR0: I/O at 0xc080 [0xc09f].
> >       BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf2000 [0xfebf2fff].
> >       id "virtio-serial0"
> >   Bus  0, device   5, function 0:
> >     SCSI controller: PCI device 1af4:1001
> >       IRQ 0.
> >       BAR0: I/O at 0xc000 [0xc03f].
> >       BAR1: 32 bit memory at 0xfebf3000 [0xfebf3fff].
> >       id "virtio-disk0"
>
> Can you please try switching virtio-blk device to ide and
> see if it helps?

When i switch the virtio-blk device to ide i get a bluescreen.

[VR]
What is the bugcheck code you're getting? Can you capture and
post BSOD screen image?
Btw, if you install VM from scratch - do you see the same problems?

Thanks,
Vadim.

@ 2013-12-11 12:16             ` Carlos Rodrigues
From: Carlos Rodrigues @ 2013-12-11 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vadim Rozenfeld; +Cc: Alon Levy, kvm

I send in attachment the screen image of blue screen.

About other question, with fresh installation with version 0.52 of
drivers, and block device as ide, the reboot works properly.

Carlos Rodrigues

Engenheiro de Software Sénior

Eurotux Informática, S.A. | www.eurotux.com

(t) +351 253 680 300 (m) +351 911 926 110

On Qua, 2013-12-11 at 21:07 +1100, Vadim Rozenfeld wrote:

[-- Attachment #2: bs_win3k8srv_virtio_76.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 22901 bytes --]

* Re: Problem after update windows VirtIO drivers
@ 2013-12-11 12:40         ` Alon Levy
From: Alon Levy @ 2013-12-11 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vadim Rozenfeld; +Cc: Carlos Rodrigues, kvm

On 12/11/2013 11:27 AM, Vadim Rozenfeld wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 15:29 +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
>> On 12/10/2013 04:24 AM, Vadim Rozenfeld wrote:

It happens almost immediately after entering the login screen, that is
after display driver has been initialized and sent already some
commands. But the stack trace is not the same always as you saw for
yourself (thanks - I didn't even check, I assumed it was the same as the
last dump).

> Btw, vioserial is the only one virtio driver in your system.
Yep.

> If you are absolutely positive that the system doesn't crash
> without this driver, we can try running it under Driver Verifier
> control (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617) mostly interested
> in Memory Allocations checks.

Yes, I'm positive. Thanks, I'll try that.

@ 2013-12-13 10:25               ` Vadim Rozenfeld
From: Vadim Rozenfeld @ 2013-12-13 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bcao, Carlos Rodrigues; +Cc: Alon Levy, kvm

On Wed, 2013-12-11 at 12:16 +0000, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> I send in attachment the screen image of blue screen.
>
> About other question, with fresh installation with version 0.52 of
> drivers, and block device as ide, the reboot works properly.
>
> Regards,

CC'ing Mike

Mike do we have any backward compatibility issues,
related to the latest driver virtio-win drivers
on RHEL5.8 host?

Thanks,
Vadim.

@ 2013-12-13 14:35                 ` Carlos Rodrigues
From: Carlos Rodrigues @ 2013-12-13 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vadim Rozenfeld; +Cc: bcao, Alon Levy, kvm

Another test that i made was, if i have 1 vCPU the problem is
reproducible, but if i increase to 2 vCPU, the Windows Server reboot
without any problem.

@ 2013-12-13 21:30                   ` Vadim Rozenfeld
From: Vadim Rozenfeld @ 2013-12-13 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rodrigues; +Cc: bcao, Alon Levy, kvm

On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 14:35 +0000, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> Another test that i made was, if i have 1 vCPU the problem is
> reproducible, but if i increase to 2 vCPU, the Windows Server reboot
> without any problem.
>
> Regards,

Can you try 1 vCPU without virtio-serial?

Thanks,
Vadim.

* Re: Problem after update windows VirtIO drivers
@ 2013-12-17  9:43                     ` Carlos Rodrigues
From: Carlos Rodrigues @ 2013-12-17  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vadim Rozenfeld; +Cc: bcao, Alon Levy, kvm

The problem still the same.

@ 2013-12-29 10:09                       ` Vadim Rozenfeld
From: Vadim Rozenfeld @ 2013-12-29 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rodrigues; +Cc: bcao, Alon Levy, kvm

Sorry for the late replay,

Can you try crashing the system with NMI and share the
crashdump file?
You will need to enable NMICrashDump in
the Registry ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927069 ),
reboot the system, and issue NMI command from qemu monitor
when the system is frozen.

Thanks,
Vadim.