All of lore.kernel.org
* [RFT] Moving on from eglibc to glibc 2.20
@ 2014-08-28  6:41 Khem Raj
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-28  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core, openembedded-devel, yocto

Hi All

As we all know eglibc has been merged back into glibc and 2.19 was the
last release, here I have put together the recipes for upcoming glibc
2.20 release and removed eglibc 2.19 in favor of move.

I also thought about leaving eglibc in there but then eglibc and glibc
were pretty much same as they always have been that it would be an
incremental change with lot more patches this time.

The tree is here

http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-to-glibc-2.20

This has not recieved much testing yet and I am looking out for helping
hands here, so try it out in your buid environments and machines of
interest and report back on issues.

The patches also forward port the options group support and few other
patches from eglibc, details are in commit logs, which I think would make
good candidates for future glibc merge.

This tree will be reworked and rebased so sync back if you see issues
which we will address here

Thanks for your help

-Khem

* Re: [OE-core] [RFT] Moving on from eglibc to glibc 2.20
@ 2014-08-28  7:18   ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-08-28  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

On Wed, 2014-08-27 at 23:41 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> Hi All
>
> As we all know eglibc has been merged back into glibc and 2.19 was the
> last release, here I have put together the recipes for upcoming glibc
> 2.20 release and removed eglibc 2.19 in favor of move.
>
> I also thought about leaving eglibc in there but then eglibc and glibc
> were pretty much same as they always have been that it would be an
> incremental change with lot more patches this time.
>
> The tree is here
>
> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-to-glibc-2.20
>
> This has not recieved much testing yet and I am looking out for helping
> hands here, so try it out in your buid environments and machines of
> interest and report back on issues.
>
> The patches also forward port the options group support and few other
> patches from eglibc, details are in commit logs, which I think would make
> good candidates for future glibc merge.
>
> This tree will be reworked and rebased so sync back if you see issues
> which we will address here
>
> Thanks for your help

Thanks for doing this Khem, its quite some work and much appreciated!

Just to be clear, what is the intent here? Is it intended to get this
into 1.7 or is this 1.8 material at this point? We're effectively past
the toolchain freeze point for 1.7, just about at complete feature
freeze but I'd like to make sure we're thinking the same things.

I'm certainly happy to get this through the autobuilder and see what
happens...

Cheers,

Richard

From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-08-28  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

@ 2014-08-28  7:52     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-28  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

On 14-08-28 08:18:57, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-08-27 at 23:41 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > As we all know eglibc has been merged back into glibc and 2.19 was the
> > last release, here I have put together the recipes for upcoming glibc
> > 2.20 release and removed eglibc 2.19 in favor of move.
> >
> > I also thought about leaving eglibc in there but then eglibc and glibc
> > were pretty much same as they always have been that it would be an
> > incremental change with lot more patches this time.
> >
> > The tree is here
> >
> > http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-to-glibc-2.20
> >
> > This has not recieved much testing yet and I am looking out for helping
> > hands here, so try it out in your buid environments and machines of
> > interest and report back on issues.
> >
> > The patches also forward port the options group support and few other
> > patches from eglibc, details are in commit logs, which I think would make
> > good candidates for future glibc merge.
> >
> > This tree will be reworked and rebased so sync back if you see issues
> > which we will address here
> >
> > Thanks for your help
>
> Thanks for doing this Khem, its quite some work and much appreciated!
>
> Just to be clear, what is the intent here? Is it intended to get this
> into 1.7 or is this 1.8 material at this point? We're effectively past
> the toolchain freeze point for 1.7, just about at complete feature
> freeze but I'd like to make sure we're thinking the same things.

I am targetting for 1.7 thats why call for wider testing to expedite.  but it could only be decided with some level of
testing. I havent done enough of testing yet myself it to be sure but in coming few days, it
will be lot clear

But if it turns into major issues then we can wait for 1.8 but it will
be quite an effort to keep up with these patches over a long period of time.

> I'm certainly happy to get this through the autobuilder and see what
> happens...

yes, ceertainly would help.

From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-28  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

On 14-08-28 08:18:57, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-08-27 at 23:41 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > As we all know eglibc has been merged back into glibc and 2.19 was the
> > last release, here I have put together the recipes for upcoming glibc
> > 2.20 release and removed eglibc 2.19 in favor of move.
> >
> > I also thought about leaving eglibc in there but then eglibc and glibc
> > were pretty much same as they always have been that it would be an
> > incremental change with lot more patches this time.
> >
> > The tree is here
> >
> > http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-to-glibc-2.20
> >
> > This has not recieved much testing yet and I am looking out for helping
> > hands here, so try it out in your buid environments and machines of
> > interest and report back on issues.
> >
> > The patches also forward port the options group support and few other
> > patches from eglibc, details are in commit logs, which I think would make
> > good candidates for future glibc merge.
> >
> > This tree will be reworked and rebased so sync back if you see issues
> > which we will address here
> >
> > Thanks for your help
>
> Thanks for doing this Khem, its quite some work and much appreciated!
>
> Just to be clear, what is the intent here? Is it intended to get this
> into 1.7 or is this 1.8 material at this point? We're effectively past
> the toolchain freeze point for 1.7, just about at complete feature
> freeze but I'd like to make sure we're thinking the same things.

I am targetting for 1.7 thats why call for wider testing to expedite.  but it could only be decided with some level of
testing. I havent done enough of testing yet myself it to be sure but in coming few days, it
will be lot clear

But if it turns into major issues then we can wait for 1.8 but it will
be quite an effort to keep up with these patches over a long period of time.

> I'm certainly happy to get this through the autobuilder and see what
> happens...

yes, ceertainly would help.

@ 2014-08-28 21:35   ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-08-28 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

On Wed, 2014-08-27 at 23:41 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> As we all know eglibc has been merged back into glibc and 2.19 was the
> last release, here I have put together the recipes for upcoming glibc
> 2.20 release and removed eglibc 2.19 in favor of move.
>
> I also thought about leaving eglibc in there but then eglibc and glibc
> were pretty much same as they always have been that it would be an
> incremental change with lot more patches this time.
>
> The tree is here
>
> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-to-glibc-2.20
>
> This has not recieved much testing yet and I am looking out for helping
> hands here, so try it out in your buid environments and machines of
> interest and report back on issues.

The one I've seen so far looks like a patch wasn't updated:

http://errors.yoctoproject.org/Errors/Search/Details/3783/3/10/1fc811ecd57be21ae6ab78e15204ffa76494c6b8

Cheers,

Richard

From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-08-28 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

@ 2014-08-28 22:51   ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-08-28 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

On Wed, 2014-08-27 at 23:41 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> Hi All
>
> As we all know eglibc has been merged back into glibc and 2.19 was the
> last release, here I have put together the recipes for upcoming glibc
> 2.20 release and removed eglibc 2.19 in favor of move.
>
> I also thought about leaving eglibc in there but then eglibc and glibc
> were pretty much same as they always have been that it would be an
> incremental change with lot more patches this time.
>
> The tree is here
>
> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-to-glibc-2.20
>
> This has not recieved much testing yet and I am looking out for helping
> hands here, so try it out in your buid environments and machines of
> interest and report back on issues.

We're also seeing:

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/build-appliance/builds/15/steps/BuildImages_1/logs/stdio

which turns out to be triggered by the libc change (I confirmed on a
local build). I haven't looked into why. There is also a similar issue
from the synaptics driver.

Cheers,

Richard

From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-08-28 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

@ 2014-08-29  0:40     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-29  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-08-27 at 23:41 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
>> As we all know eglibc has been merged back into glibc and 2.19 was the
>> last release, here I have put together the recipes for upcoming glibc
>> 2.20 release and removed eglibc 2.19 in favor of move.
>>
>> I also thought about leaving eglibc in there but then eglibc and glibc
>> were pretty much same as they always have been that it would be an
>> incremental change with lot more patches this time.
>>
>> The tree is here
>>
>> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-to-glibc-2.20
>>
>> This has not recieved much testing yet and I am looking out for helping
>> hands here, so try it out in your buid environments and machines of
>> interest and report back on issues.
>
> The one I've seen so far looks like a patch wasn't updated:
>
> http://errors.yoctoproject.org/Errors/Search/Details/3783/3/10/1fc811ecd57be21ae6ab78e15204ffa76494c6b8

Yes.
have forgotten the squash when I updated patches earlier today Fixed
and pushed now.

From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-29  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

@ 2014-08-29  0:41     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-29  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 3:51 PM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> We're also seeing:
>
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/build-appliance/builds/15/steps/BuildImages_1/logs/stdio
>
> which turns out to be triggered by the libc change (I confirmed on a
> local build). I haven't looked into why. There is also a similar issue
> from the synaptics driver.

reproduced. will apprise as I have some fix.

From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-29  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

@ 2014-08-29  1:46       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-29  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> reproduced. will apprise as I have some fix.

OK pushed another patch to the contrib tree that should take care of both
xf86-input-synaptics xf86-input-vmmouse

From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-29  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

@ 2014-08-29 10:39         ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-08-29 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

On Thu, 2014-08-28 at 18:46 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> > reproduced. will apprise as I have some fix.
>
> OK pushed another patch to the contrib tree that should take care of both
> xf86-input-synaptics xf86-input-vmmouse

Thanks. I'm having one heck of a problem unentangling all the different
build failures (from these and other patches) but this one looks like
glibc:

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/poky-tiny/builds/18/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio

Cheers,

Richard

From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-08-29 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

@ 2014-08-29 12:18         ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-08-29 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel, Otavio Salvador,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, 2014-08-28 at 18:46 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> > reproduced. will apprise as I have some fix.
>
> OK pushed another patch to the contrib tree that should take care of both
> xf86-input-synaptics xf86-input-vmmouse

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-arm/builds/17/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio

xf86-video-imxfb has the same issue and will need the same fix. Otavio
cc'd...

Cheers,

Richard

From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-08-29 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel, Otavio Salvador,

@ 2014-08-29 12:20         ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-08-29 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, 2014-08-28 at 18:46 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> > reproduced. will apprise as I have some fix.
>
> OK pushed another patch to the contrib tree that should take care of both
> xf86-input-synaptics xf86-input-vmmouse

Also, meta-fsl-ppc fails:

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-ppc/builds/17/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio

with a do_compile glibc failure.

Cheers,

Richard

From: Richard Purdie @ 2014-08-29 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

@ 2014-08-29 23:59           ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-29 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel, Otavio Salvador,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 5:18 AM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-08-28 at 18:46 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > reproduced. will apprise as I have some fix.
>>
>> OK pushed another patch to the contrib tree that should take care of both
>> xf86-input-synaptics xf86-input-vmmouse
>
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-arm/builds/17/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio
>
> xf86-video-imxfb has the same issue and will need the same fix. Otavio
> cc'd...

I have sent a patch to meta-fsl-arm for this

From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-29 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel, Otavio Salvador,

@ 2014-08-30  0:00           ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 5:20 AM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-08-28 at 18:46 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > reproduced. will apprise as I have some fix.
>>
>> OK pushed another patch to the contrib tree that should take care of both
>> xf86-input-synaptics xf86-input-vmmouse
>
> Also, meta-fsl-ppc fails:
>
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-ppc/builds/17/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio
>
> with a do_compile glibc failure.

I have fixed this. The patchset is updated on the contrib tree.

From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

@ 2014-08-30  0:01           ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-30  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 3:39 AM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-08-28 at 18:46 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > reproduced. will apprise as I have some fix.
>>
>> OK pushed another patch to the contrib tree that should take care of both
>> xf86-input-synaptics xf86-input-vmmouse
>
> Thanks. I'm having one heck of a problem unentangling all the different
> build failures (from these and other patches) but this one looks like
> glibc:
>
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/poky-tiny/builds/18/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio

Trying to reproduce it locally. Once I have, I will update.

From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-30  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

@ 2014-08-30  2:56             ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-30  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 3:39 AM, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK pushed another patch to the contrib tree that should take care of both
>>> xf86-input-synaptics xf86-input-vmmouse
>>
>> Thanks. I'm having one heck of a problem unentangling all the different
>> build failures (from these and other patches) but this one looks like
>> glibc:
>>
>> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/poky-tiny/builds/18/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio
>>

> Trying to reproduce it locally. Once I have, I will update.

Richard

I have fixed this too and pushed the updates to same pull tree.
Please give it another whirl

-Khem

From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-30  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel,

@ 2014-08-30  3:01             ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-30  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel, Otavio Salvador,

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 5:18 AM, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK pushed another patch to the contrib tree that should take care of both
>>> xf86-input-synaptics xf86-input-vmmouse
>>
>> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-arm/builds/17/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio
>>
>> xf86-video-imxfb has the same issue and will need the same fix. Otavio
>> cc'd...
>>

> I have sent a patch to meta-fsl-arm for this

Until its installed, the patch is here
http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/79443/

From: Khem Raj @ 2014-08-30  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel, Otavio Salvador,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 5:18 AM, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK pushed another patch to the contrib tree that should take care of both
>>> xf86-input-synaptics xf86-input-vmmouse
>>
>> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-arm/builds/17/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio
>>
>> xf86-video-imxfb has the same issue and will need the same fix. Otavio
>> cc'd...
>>

> I have sent a patch to meta-fsl-arm for this

Until its installed, the patch is here
http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/79443/

* Re: [OE-core] [RFT] Moving on from eglibc to glibc 2.20
  (?)
@ 2014-09-02 22:50               ` Dan McGregor
From: Dan McGregor @ 2014-09-02 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel, Otavio Salvador,

On 29 August 2014 21:01, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 5:18 AM, Richard Purdie
>> <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

>>> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-fsl-arm/builds/17/steps/BuildImages/logs/stdio
>>>
>>> xf86-video-imxfb has the same issue and will need the same fix. Otavio
>>> cc'd...
>>>

>> I have sent a patch to meta-fsl-arm for this
>
> Until its installed, the patch is here
> http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/79443/
> --

Is it possible to add an RREPLACES to these recipes so there's a clean
upgrade path from eglibc?

From: Dan McGregor @ 2014-09-02 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: yocto, openembeded-devel, Otavio Salvador,