From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@redhat.com>
To: Yehuda Yitschak <yehuday@marvell.com>
Cc: Shadi Ammouri <shadi@marvell.com>,
	"qemu-devel@nongnu.org" <qemu-devel@nongnu.org>,
	Yuval Caduri <cyuval@marvell.com>,
	Eric Auger <eric.auger@linaro.org>
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Assigning an eth port to a guest VM
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 11:15:45 -0600	[thread overview]

On Mon, 2015-06-15 at 16:52 +0000, Yehuda Yitschak wrote:
> [...]

The difference for SR-IOV is that emulation of shared resources is done
almost entirely in the hardware.  the PF configures the VFs and may
interact with them to some degree at runtime, but VFs are largely
separate devices from a software perspective.

The first question I would have for your device is whether there is
IOMMU isolation between the individual "functions".  If not, there's
really nothing vfio can help with and they probably ought to be used
more as a macvtap interface.  If there is isolation, then I'd assume
we'd configure the device for direct access to the duplicated registers
and trap to QEMU for the emulation portion.  For things were the
emulation portion needs to interact with the "PF", interfaces would need
to be created in the kernel.  The vfio-platform pieces specific to your
device might be the logical place for that interaction with the PF to
occur, ie. emulation at the vfio-platform interface rather than in QEMU
itself.  Thanks,

Alex