On Fri, 2015-11-27 at 02:02 +0000, Duncan wrote: > Uhm, I don't get the big security advantage here... whether nested > > or > > manually mounted to a subdir,... if the permissions are insecure > > I'll > > have a problem... if they're secure, than not. > Consider a setuid-root binary with a recently publicized but patched > on > your system vuln.  But if you have root snapshots from before the > patch > and those snapshots are nested below root, then they're always > accessible.  If the path to the vulnerable setuid is as user > accessible > as it likely was in its original location, then anyone with login > access > to the system is likely to be able to run it from the snapshot... and > will be able to get root due to the vuln. Hmm good point... I think it would be great if you could add that scenario somewhere to the documentation. :-) Based on that one can easily think about more/similar examples... device file that had too permissive modes set, and where snapshotted like that... and so on. I think that's another example why it would be nice if btrfs had something (per subvolume) like ext4's default mount options (I mean the ones stored in the superblock). Not only would it allow the userland tools to do things like "adding notatime" per default on snapshots (at least ro snapshot), so that one can have them nested and still doesn't suffer from the previously discussed writes-on-read-amplifications... it would also allow to set things like nodev, noexec, nosuid and that like on subvols... and again it would make the whole thing practically usable with nested subvols. Where would be the appropriate place to record that as a feature request? Simply here on the list? Cheers, Chris.