* [meta-intel]:Quark not accepting "root" username at login prompt
@ 2016-02-03 11:41 shubham.kumar4
From: shubham.kumar4 @ 2016-02-03 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi all,

I built a core-image-minimal with additions of a few packages like tools-sdk and tools-debug. With WIK tool and the kickstart file "mkgalileodisk", I created the image. Then I dd'd the image to the SD card. The Galileo booted with the image, but it's not accepting "root" as the username at the login terminal. It shows the message "Invalid username". I don't have any idea of why this happened. I even looked at the etc/passwd file, but didn't get any idea.

Please note that I have cloned the latest jethro meta-intel layer from the Yocto git repository.

Did I miss anything in the build process? Any help in this direction will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shubham_K

* Re: [meta-intel]:Quark not accepting "root" username at login prompt
@ 2016-02-03 14:00 ` shubham.kumar4
From: shubham.kumar4 @ 2016-02-03 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi all,

I would additionally like to mention that the same problem persists when trying to boot the Galileo with core-image-sato.

The steps which I followed are as follows:-

Inside the poky directory,

1.  source oe-init-build-env final_build/

Now ,Inside the final_build/ directory

2. bitbake core-image-sato

3. wic create mkgalileodisk -e core-image-sato -o /<directory_path>/

Now, in <directory_path>/build ,

4. sudo dd if=mkgalileodisk-201602031847-mmcblk0.direct of=/dev/sdb

Now when I tried to boot the Galileo with this SD card , it booted but at the login prompt doesn't accept the "root". It says  "Login incorrect ".

The observation is similar wit core-image-minimal as well.

I'm definitely missing something. I would appreciate any help in this direction.

Thanks,

Shubham_K

________________________________

@ 2016-02-03 14:49   ` Maciek Borzecki
From: Maciek Borzecki @ 2016-02-03 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shubham.kumar4, yocto

On śro, 2016-02-03 at 14:00 +0000, shubham.kumar4@wipro.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would additionally like to mention that the same problem persists when trying to boot
> the Galileo with core-image-sato.
> The steps which I followed are as follows:-
> Inside the poky directory,
>
> 1.  source oe-init-build-env final_build/
> Now ,Inside the final_build/ directory
>
> 2. bitbake core-image-sato
>
> 3. wic create mkgalileodisk -e core-image-sato -o /<directory_path>/
>
> Now, in <directory_path>/build ,
>
> 4. sudo dd if=mkgalileodisk-201602031847-mmcblk0.direct of=/dev/sdb
>
> Now when I tried to boot the Galileo with this SD card , it booted but at the login
> prompt doesn't accept the "root". It says  "Login incorrect ".
>
> The observation is similar wit core-image-minimal as well.
>
> I'm definitely missing something. I would appreciate any help in this direction.
>

> Thanks,
> Shubham_K

Can you verify if debug-tweaks is present in IMAGE_FEATURES?

--
Maciej Borzęcki
Senior Software Developer at Open-RnD Sp. z o.o., Poland

Niniejsza wiadomość wraz z załącznikami może zawierać chronione prawem
lub poufne informacje i została wysłana wyłącznie do wiadomości i
użytku osób, do których została zaadresowana. Jeśli wiadomość została
otrzymana przypadkowo zabrania się jej kopiowania lub rozsyłania do
osób trzecich. W takim przypadku uprasza się o natychmiastowe
zniszczenie wiadomości oraz poinformowanie nadawcy o zaistniałej
sytuacji za pomocą wiadomości zwrotnej. Dziękujemy.

This message, including any attachments hereto, may contain privileged
or confidential information and is sent solely for the attention and
use of the intended addressee(s). If you are not an intended addressee,
you may neither use this message nor copy or deliver it to anyone. In
such case, you should immediately destroy this message and kindly notify
the sender by reply email. Thank you.

* Re: [meta-intel]:Quark not accepting "root" username at login prompt
@ 2016-02-03 14:55     ` shubham.kumar4
From: shubham.kumar4 @ 2016-02-03 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, maciej.borzecki

Hi Maciek,

In "final_build/conf/local.conf" , EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks".

So, yes "debug-tweaks" is present.

Thanks,
Shubham_K

@ 2016-02-03 17:29       ` Maciej Borzecki
From: Maciej Borzecki @ 2016-02-03 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shubham.kumar4, yocto

> Dnia 3 luty 2016 o 15:55 shubham.kumar4@wipro.com napisał(a):
>

> In "final_build/conf/local.conf" , EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks".
>
> So, yes "debug-tweaks" is present.

Try running bitbake -e <yourimagename> and check the value of
IMAGE_FEATURES (and where it gets assigned).

You may also want to check if /etc/shadow in the rootfs contains proper
entry. It should look like this:

       root:*:16834:0:99999:7:::

When inspecting the output of bitbake -e, look for IMAGE_ROOTFS, this
will point to the location of the rootfs for your image.

--
Maciej Borzęcki
Senior Software Engineer at Open-RnD Sp. z o.o.

@ 2016-02-04  6:43         ` shubham.kumar4
From: shubham.kumar4 @ 2016-02-04  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, maciej.borzecki

Hi Maciej,

I did "bitbake -r core-image-sato" and redirected the output to a file. From that I found that IMAGE_FEATURES is assigned in image.bblass. A few of the contents in the file were as follows:-

# IMAGE_FEATURES may contain any available package group
IMAGE_FEATURES ?= ""
IMAGE_FEATURES[type] = "list"
IMAGE_FEATURES[validitems] += "debug-tweaks read-only-rootfs empty-root-password allow-empty-password post-install-logging"

I thought of modifying the last entry and made it as follows:-

IMAGE_FEATURES[validitems] += "debug-tweaks read-only-rootfs"

Then I rebuilt the images using "bitbake core-image-sato" and then wic tool.But still same issue persists.The Galileo is booting , but not accepting "root"  as username and again asking for password.

.
.
.
I also checked for IMAGE_ROOTFS in "image.bbclass" file and got the path to the rootfs as follows:-
IMAGE_ROOTFS="/home/yogesh/myYocto/poky/final_build/tmp/work/intel_quark-poky-linux/core-image-sato/1.0-r0/rootfs"

In etc/shadow, proper entry is present with ----  root:*:16834:0:99999:7:::

Thanks for your co-operation, Maciej. Looking forward to reaolving this issue asap.

Thanks,
Shubham_K

@ 2016-02-04  7:18           ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-02-04  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shubham.kumar4; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 10:43 PM,  <shubham.kumar4@wipro.com> wrote:
> Hi Maciej,
>

> I did "bitbake -r core-image-sato" and redirected the output to a file. From that I found that IMAGE_FEATURES is assigned in image.bblass. A few of the contents in the file were as follows:-
>
> # IMAGE_FEATURES may contain any available package group
> IMAGE_FEATURES ?= ""
> IMAGE_FEATURES[type] = "list"
> IMAGE_FEATURES[validitems] += "debug-tweaks read-only-rootfs empty-root-password allow-empty-password post-install-logging"
>
> I thought of modifying the last entry and made it as follows:-
>
> IMAGE_FEATURES[validitems] += "debug-tweaks read-only-rootfs"

thats not how you do it. you add it to local configuration metadata
e.g. in your conf/local.conf

you define it e.g.

@ 2016-02-04  7:31             ` shubham.kumar4
From: shubham.kumar4 @ 2016-02-04  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raj.khem; +Cc: yocto

Hi Khem,

Thanks for your quick response.

That entry is already there in "<build>/conf/local.conf " file as follows:-

# We default to enabling the debugging tweaks.
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks"

In addition to the above, I have also added "tools-sdk" and "tools-debug" as follows in the same file :-

#Other packages
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "tools-sdk"
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "tools-debug"

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks,
Shubham_K

@ 2016-02-04  7:51               ` Maciek Borzecki
From: Maciek Borzecki @ 2016-02-04  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shubham.kumar4, raj.khem; +Cc: yocto

On czw, 2016-02-04 at 07:31 +0000, shubham.kumar4@wipro.com wrote:
> Hi Khem,
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>
> That entry is already there in "<build>/conf/local.conf " file as follows:-
>
> # We default to enabling the debugging tweaks.
> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks"
>
> In addition to the above, I have also added "tools-sdk" and "tools-debug" as follows in
> the same file :-
>
> #Other packages
> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "tools-sdk"
> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "tools-debug"
>
> Is there anything else I'm missing?

Wild guess, but can you double check that, inside the rootfs, etc/securetty contains the
name of the device that you are attempting to log in on? For instance, on rspi the port is
named /dev/ttyAMA0, then etc/securetty will contain ttyAMA0.

--
Maciej Borzęcki
Open-RnD Sp. z o.o., Poland

* Re: [meta-intel]:Quark not accepting "root" username at login prompt
@ 2016-02-04  9:15               ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2016-02-04  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shubham.kumar4; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 07:31:32 shubham.kumar4@wipro.com wrote:
> That entry is already there in "<build>/conf/local.conf " file as follows:-
>
> # We default to enabling the debugging tweaks.
> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks"
>
> In addition to the above, I have also added "tools-sdk" and "tools-debug" as
> follows in the same file :-
>
> #Other packages
> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "tools-sdk"
> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "tools-debug"
>
> Is there anything else I'm missing?

Er... is that exactly how you are setting the EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES value? If
it is, = sets the value, it does not add to it, so you're wiping out the
previous items. You presumably want to be using += rather than = .

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: [meta-intel]:Quark not accepting "root" username at login prompt
@ 2016-02-04 11:16                 ` shubham.kumar4
From: shubham.kumar4 @ 2016-02-04 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul.eggleton; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 07:31:32 shubham.kumar4@wipro.com wrote:
> >That entry is already there in "<build>/conf/local.conf " file as follows:-
>>
> ># We default to enabling the debugging tweaks.
> >EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks"
>>
> >In addition to the above, I have also added "tools-sdk" and "tools-debug" as
> >follows in the same file :-
>>
> >#Other packages
> >EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "tools-sdk"
> >EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "tools-debug"
>>
> >Is there anything else I'm missing?

>Er... is that exactly how you are setting the EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES value? If
>it is, = sets the value, it does not add to it, so you're wiping out the
>previous items. You presumably want to be using += rather than = .

>Cheers,
>Paul

Thanks Paul. The issue is solved now. You pointed out the correct mistake :). However, I had been doing the same mistake while building extra packages for qemux86. But it didn't throw any such error, and the virtual machine worked just perfectly fine. However, It was not the same with Galileo.
But I would take care of these issues in future.
Thanks Paul , Thanks Maciej. Have a Great day ahead !!

Thanks,
Shubham_K