Am 19.05.2011 um 18:40 schrieb tsuna: > On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Hagen Paul Pfeifer wrote: >> So yes, it CAN be wise to choose other lower/upper bounds. But keep in >> mind that we should NOT artificial limit ourself. I can image data center >> scenarios where a initial RTO of <1 match perfectly. > > Yes that's exactly the point I was trying to make when talking to > Alexander offline. On today's Internet, RTTs are easily in the > hundreds of ms, and initRTO is 3s, so there's 2 orders of magnitude of > difference. In my environment, Exactly. This is the point. It's *your* environment. However, TCP is general purpose. And for the wider internet 1s is know to be save. See the measurements in the draft that Mark Allman run. > if my RTT is ~2µs, an initRTO of 200ms > means that there's a gap of 6 orders of magnitude (!). Currently, initRTO is 3s. So you the gap is even larger. > And yes, > although I don't work for High Frequency Trading companies in Wall > Street, I'm already buying switches full of line-rate 10Gb ports with > a port-to-port latency of 500ns for L2/L3 forwarding/switching. I > expect this kind of network gear will quickly become prevalent in > datacenter/backend environments. > > -- > Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure > Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com // // Dipl.-Inform. Alexander Zimmermann // Department of Computer Science, Informatik 4 // RWTH Aachen University // Ahornstr. 55, 52056 Aachen, Germany // phone: (49-241) 80-21422, fax: (49-241) 80-22222 // email: zimmermann@cs.rwth-aachen.de // web: http://www.umic-mesh.net //