* udgb on fsl booke?
@ 2016-05-14  0:41 Daniel Walker
From: Daniel Walker @ 2016-05-14  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev, xe-kernel, Kumar Gala

Hi,

I noticed that udbg is missing for fsl booke , or at least it doesn't
appear to be implemented. I don't know a great deal about fsl book. I'm
working on an MCP85XX at the moment , and I was looking into the udbg
system to get prints. It looks like fsl booke might be similar enough to
44x to use the already implemented udbg routines for that.

Does anyone have suggestion on this ? Is fsl booke missing because it's
not possible to have this, or no one ever needed it ?

Thanks,

Daniel

* Re: udgb on fsl booke?
@ 2016-05-16  1:40 ` Michael Ellerman
From: Michael Ellerman @ 2016-05-16  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Walker, linuxppc-dev, xe-kernel, Kumar Gala, oss

On Fri, 2016-05-13 at 17:41 -0700, Daniel Walker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that udbg is missing for fsl booke , or at least it doesn't
> appear to be implemented. I don't know a great deal about fsl book. I'm
> working on an MCP85XX at the moment , and I was looking into the udbg
> system to get prints. It looks like fsl booke might be similar enough to
> 44x to use the already implemented udbg routines for that.
>
> Does anyone have suggestion on this ? Is fsl booke missing because it's
> not possible to have this, or no one ever needed it ?

Yeah I noticed this recently too.

I don't know the history of why there isn't one, I suspect probably it just was
never merged upstream. Hopefully someone from Freescale can chime in.

On my machine (p5020ds) there is a real UART, so it should just be a matter of
creating a mapping for it and then using the existing udbg_16550 code.

cheers

* Re: udgb on fsl booke?
@ 2016-05-16  2:46   ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2016-05-16  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ellerman, Daniel Walker, linuxppc-dev, xe-kernel, Kumar Gala

On Mon, 2016-05-16 at 11:40 +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-05-13 at 17:41 -0700, Daniel Walker wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed that udbg is missing for fsl booke , or at least it doesn't
> > appear to be implemented. I don't know a great deal about fsl book. I'm
> > working on an MCP85XX at the moment , and I was looking into the udbg
> > system to get prints. It looks like fsl booke might be similar enough to
> > 44x to use the already implemented udbg routines for that.
> >
> > Does anyone have suggestion on this ? Is fsl booke missing because it's
> > not possible to have this, or no one ever needed it ?
>
> Yeah I noticed this recently too.
>
> I don't know the history of why there isn't one, I suspect probably it just
> was
> never merged upstream. Hopefully someone from Freescale can chime in.
>
> On my machine (p5020ds) there is a real UART, so it should just be a matter
> of
> creating a mapping for it and then using the existing udbg_16550 code.

We don't have udbg support for these chips anywhere.  I usually just dump the
logbuffer from an external debugger (or bisect with a branch-to-self using the
external debugger to see if it was reached, if the logbuffer is empty) when
there's a boot problem.  It'd be nice to have; it just never got done.

-Scott