* ethtool 4.6 released
@ 2016-06-26 15:59 Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2016-06-26 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

ethtool version 4.6 has been released.

Home page: https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/network/ethtool/
Download link:
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/network/ethtool/ethtool-4.6.tar.xz

Release notes:

	* Feature: Support register dump on Intel X550 NICs (-d option)
	* Fix: Correct some reported register offsets on Intel 10GbE NICs
	  (-d option)
	* Feature: Add IPv6 support to NFC (-n, -N, -u and -U options)
	* Feature: Add support for ETHTOOL_xLINKSETTINGS ioctls (no option
	  and -s option)
	* Feature: Use netlink socket when AF_INET not available

Ben.

--

Ben Hutchings
compatible: Gracefully accepts erroneous data from any source

* ethtool needs a new maintainer
@ 2016-06-26 16:11 ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2016-06-26 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

I've become steadily less enthusiastic and less responsive as a
maintainer over the past year or so.  I no longer work on networking
regularly, so it takes a lot more time to get into the right state of
mind to think about ethtool code, while I have other demands on my time
that tend to take priority.

So, I would like to find a new maintainer to take over as soon as
possible.  Ideally the new maintainer would have previous contributions
to ethtool and an existing account on kernel.org so that they can push
to the git repository and the home page.  But neither of those is
essential.  Please reply if you're interested.

I was thinking of adding a TODO file to the repository, but it's really
for the new maintainer to decide what to do.  So here's my list as a
suggestion:

* Add regression test coverage for all sub-commands with complex logic

* Internationalise output and error messages

* Build a libethtool that handles all the API quirks and fallbacks for
  old kernel versions.  This might help people writing language
  bindings or other utilities that use the ethtool API.

* Provide a 'cleaned up' ethtool (under some other name) that has:
  - More conventional sub-command syntax, i.e. no '-'/'--' prefix
  - More consistent output formatting

Ben.

--

Ben Hutchings
compatible: Gracefully accepts erroneous data from any source

* Re: ethtool needs a new maintainer
@ 2016-06-27 13:51   ` John W. Linville
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: John W. Linville @ 2016-06-27 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Hutchings; +Cc: netdev

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 06:11:41PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> I've become steadily less enthusiastic and less responsive as a
> maintainer over the past year or so.  I no longer work on networking
> regularly, so it takes a lot more time to get into the right state of
> mind to think about ethtool code, while I have other demands on my time
> that tend to take priority.
>
> So, I would like to find a new maintainer to take over as soon as
> possible.  Ideally the new maintainer would have previous contributions
> to ethtool and an existing account on kernel.org so that they can push
> to the git repository and the home page.  But neither of those is
> essential.  Please reply if you're interested.

I would like to take this responsibility. My previous contributions
to ethtool are meager, but I think my skills and interests are suited
to the task.  Plus, I already have a kernel.org account... :-)

> I was thinking of adding a TODO file to the repository, but it's really
> for the new maintainer to decide what to do.  So here's my list as a
> suggestion:
>
> * Add regression test coverage for all sub-commands with complex logic
>
> * Internationalise output and error messages
>
> * Build a libethtool that handles all the API quirks and fallbacks for
>   old kernel versions.  This might help people writing language
>   bindings or other utilities that use the ethtool API.
>
> * Provide a 'cleaned up' ethtool (under some other name) that has:
>   - More conventional sub-command syntax, i.e. no '-'/'--' prefix
>   - More consistent output formatting

That seems like a reasonable start for a TODO list. I'll bet there
are a few people out there with other suggestions as well...?

Anyway, I would be happy to take-on the job of ethtool maintainer,
and I look forward to getting back into a more concrete role within
the community. Any objections?

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: ethtool needs a new maintainer
@ 2016-06-30 18:15     ` John W. Linville
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: John W. Linville @ 2016-06-30 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Hutchings; +Cc: netdev

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 09:51:47AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 06:11:41PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I've become steadily less enthusiastic and less responsive as a
> > maintainer over the past year or so.  I no longer work on networking
> > regularly, so it takes a lot more time to get into the right state of
> > mind to think about ethtool code, while I have other demands on my time
> > that tend to take priority.
> >
> > So, I would like to find a new maintainer to take over as soon as
> > possible.  Ideally the new maintainer would have previous contributions
> > to ethtool and an existing account on kernel.org so that they can push
> > to the git repository and the home page.  But neither of those is
> > essential.  Please reply if you're interested.
>
> I would like to take this responsibility. My previous contributions
> to ethtool are meager, but I think my skills and interests are suited
> to the task.  Plus, I already have a kernel.org account... :-)

Are there any other takers?  Or is this a done deal?

@ 2016-06-30 19:27       ` Jorge Alberto Garcia
       [not found]       ` <CAD=hENfD=cwAidNe1+kspzUtUzwk3QqQE8GWF7zdhrKogPt-=A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jorge Alberto Garcia @ 2016-06-30 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: Ben Hutchings, netdev

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 1:15 PM, John W. Linville
<linville@tuxdriver.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 09:51:47AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 06:11:41PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>> > I've become steadily less enthusiastic and less responsive as a
>> > maintainer over the past year or so.  I no longer work on networking
>> > regularly, so it takes a lot more time to get into the right state of
>> > mind to think about ethtool code, while I have other demands on my time
>> > that tend to take priority.
>> >
>> > So, I would like to find a new maintainer to take over as soon as
>> > possible.  Ideally the new maintainer would have previous contributions
>> > to ethtool and an existing account on kernel.org so that they can push
>> > to the git repository and the home page.  But neither of those is
>> > essential.  Please reply if you're interested.
>>
>> I would like to take this responsibility. My previous contributions
>> to ethtool are meager, but I think my skills and interests are suited
>> to the task.  Plus, I already have a kernel.org account... :-)
>
> Are there any other takers?  Or is this a done deal?

hi guys !, any link to a bugzilla  / patchwork  ?

@ 2016-06-30 19:32         ` Ben Hutchings
       [not found]           ` <CAPfrtUce=xzHystAoMRth4HEKhZtSj629f07R-t-dsq5=9q0-g@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2016-06-30 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge Alberto Garcia, John W. Linville; +Cc: netdev

On Thu, 2016-06-30 at 14:27 -0500, Jorge Alberto Garcia wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 1:15 PM, John W. Linville
> <linville@tuxdriver.com> wrote:

> > > I would like to take this responsibility. My previous contributions
> > > to ethtool are meager, but I think my skills and interests are suited
> > > to the task.  Plus, I already have a kernel.org account... :-)
> >
> > Are there any other takers?  Or is this a done deal?
> >

> hi guys !, any link to a bugzilla  / patchwork  ?

There's nothing as organised as that, though it might be possible to
add categories for ethtool on <https://bugzilla.kernel.org> and
<https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/>.

Ben.

--

Ben Hutchings
To err is human; to really foul things up requires a computer.

* Re: ethtool needs a new maintainer
       [not found]               ` <CAPfrtUeYwu8hj_ZNvp97_=v1hFuNBNPTG+Rfct644aTRh=JBog@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-06-30 21:51                 ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2016-06-30 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge Alberto Garcia; +Cc: Ben Hutchings, netdev

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 02:37:30PM -0500, Jorge Alberto Garcia wrote:
> El 30/06/2016 02:32 p.m., "Ben Hutchings" <ben@decadent.org.uk> escribió:
> >
> > On Thu, 2016-06-30 at 14:27 -0500, Jorge Alberto Garcia wrote:
> networking
> state of
> my time

> contributions
> push

> suited

> > > hi guys !, any link to a bugzilla  / patchwork  ?
> >
> > There's nothing as organised as that, though it might be possible to
> > add categories for ethtool on <https://bugzilla.kernel.org> and
> > <https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/>.
> >
> > Ben.
> >
> I would like to help but it will be a first for me.
> Maybe in shadow mode ?

Honestly, I don't expect the patch management stuff to be much of a
burden.  I could always use the help reviewing any patches submitted,
of course!

@ 2016-06-30 22:12       ` John Fastabend
       [not found]       ` <CAD=hENfD=cwAidNe1+kspzUtUzwk3QqQE8GWF7zdhrKogPt-=A@mail.gmail.com>
From: John Fastabend @ 2016-06-30 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville, Ben Hutchings; +Cc: netdev

On 16-06-30 11:15 AM, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 09:51:47AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 06:11:41PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>>> I've become steadily less enthusiastic and less responsive as a
>>> maintainer over the past year or so.  I no longer work on networking
>>> regularly, so it takes a lot more time to get into the right state of
>>> mind to think about ethtool code, while I have other demands on my time
>>> that tend to take priority.
>>>
>>> So, I would like to find a new maintainer to take over as soon as
>>> possible.  Ideally the new maintainer would have previous contributions
>>> to ethtool and an existing account on kernel.org so that they can push
>>> to the git repository and the home page.  But neither of those is
>>> essential.  Please reply if you're interested.
>>
>> I would like to take this responsibility. My previous contributions
>> to ethtool are meager, but I think my skills and interests are suited
>> to the task.  Plus, I already have a kernel.org account... :-)
>
> Are there any other takers?  Or is this a done deal?
>
> John

+1 for having John take it on :)

.JohnF

* Re: ethtool needs a new maintainer
@ 2016-07-01 18:31         ` Andy Gospodarek
From: Andy Gospodarek @ 2016-07-01 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Fastabend; +Cc: John W. Linville, Ben Hutchings, netdev

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 03:12:52PM -0700, John Fastabend wrote:
> On 16-06-30 11:15 AM, John W. Linville wrote:

> >> I would like to take this responsibility. My previous contributions
> >> to ethtool are meager, but I think my skills and interests are suited
> >> to the task.  Plus, I already have a kernel.org account... :-)
> >
> > Are there any other takers?  Or is this a done deal?
> >
> > John
> >

> +1 for having John take it on :)
>
> .JohnF

I'll add a +1 for John Linville to take it over as well!

* Re: ethtool needs a new maintainer
@ 2016-07-01 19:33           ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2016-07-01 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gospo; +Cc: john.fastabend, linville, ben, netdev

From: Andy Gospodarek <gospo@cumulusnetworks.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 14:31:34 -0400

> On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 03:12:52PM -0700, John Fastabend wrote:

>> > Are there any other takers?  Or is this a done deal?
>> >
>> > John
>> >

>> +1 for having John take it on :)
>>
>> .JohnF
>
> I'll add a +1 for John Linville to take it over as well!

I'm also perfectly fine with this.

We can add John to the list of delegates in patchwork at
patchwork.ozlabs.org and track ethtool patches there if we want.

* Re: ethtool needs a new maintainer
@ 2016-07-04 14:24     ` Jiri Pirko
From: Jiri Pirko @ 2016-07-04 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: Ben Hutchings, netdev

Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 03:51:47PM CEST, linville@tuxdriver.com wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 06:11:41PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>> I've become steadily less enthusiastic and less responsive as a
>> maintainer over the past year or so.  I no longer work on networking
>> regularly, so it takes a lot more time to get into the right state of
>> mind to think about ethtool code, while I have other demands on my time
>> that tend to take priority.
>>
>> So, I would like to find a new maintainer to take over as soon as
>> possible.  Ideally the new maintainer would have previous contributions
>> to ethtool and an existing account on kernel.org so that they can push
>> to the git repository and the home page.  But neither of those is
>> essential.  Please reply if you're interested.
>
>I would like to take this responsibility. My previous contributions
>to ethtool are meager, but I think my skills and interests are suited
>to the task.  Plus, I already have a kernel.org account... :-)
>
>> I was thinking of adding a TODO file to the repository, but it's really
>> for the new maintainer to decide what to do.  So here's my list as a
>> suggestion:
>>
>> * Add regression test coverage for all sub-commands with complex logic
>>
>> * Internationalise output and error messages
>>
>> * Build a libethtool that handles all the API quirks and fallbacks for
>>   old kernel versions.  This might help people writing language
>>   bindings or other utilities that use the ethtool API.
>>
>> * Provide a 'cleaned up' ethtool (under some other name) that has:
>>   - More conventional sub-command syntax, i.e. no '-'/'--' prefix
>>   - More consistent output formatting
>
>That seems like a reasonable start for a TODO list. I'll bet there
>are a few people out there with other suggestions as well...?

Before that, I would like to see ethtool migrate to use generic
netlink. Then, the new tool would be needed anyway, should exist within
iproute2 package and have similar command line syntax.

I have some ideas about the gennetlink ethtool, have to find some time
to implement some initial part of it.

* Re: ethtool needs a new maintainer
@ 2016-07-04 17:18     ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2016-07-04 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: netdev

On Mon, 2016-06-27 at 09:51 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 06:11:41PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I've become steadily less enthusiastic and less responsive as a
> > maintainer over the past year or so.  I no longer work on networking
> > regularly, so it takes a lot more time to get into the right state of
> > mind to think about ethtool code, while I have other demands on my time
> > that tend to take priority.
> >
> > So, I would like to find a new maintainer to take over as soon as
> > possible.  Ideally the new maintainer would have previous contributions
> > to ethtool and an existing account on kernel.org so that they can push
> > to the git repository and the home page.  But neither of those is
> > essential.  Please reply if you're interested.
>
> I would like to take this responsibility. My previous contributions
> to ethtool are meager, but I think my skills and interests are suited
> to the task.  Plus, I already have a kernel.org account... :-)
[...]

It was a tough choice, but I'm pleased to accept your offer. :-)

I'll ask for the permissions to be updated accordingly.

Ben.

--

Ben Hutchings
Lowery's Law:

@ 2016-07-04 17:38                 ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2016-07-04 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge Alberto Garcia; +Cc: netdev, John W. Linville

On Thu, 2016-06-30 at 14:37 -0500, Jorge Alberto Garcia wrote:
> El 30/06/2016 02:32 p.m., "Ben Hutchings" <ben@decadent.org.uk> escribió:
> >
> > On Thu, 2016-06-30 at 14:27 -0500, Jorge Alberto Garcia wrote:
> networking
> state of
> my time

> contributions
> push

> suited

> > > hi guys !, any link to a bugzilla  / patchwork  ?
> >
> > There's nothing as organised as that, though it might be possible to
> > add categories for ethtool on <https://bugzilla.kernel.org> and
> > <https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/>.
> >
> > Ben.
> >
> I would like to help but it will be a first for me.
> Maybe in shadow mode ?

I'm sure John will appreciate additional reviewers for ethtool
submissions.  If he decides to use Bugzilla then you should also be
able to subscribe to the ethtool component there.

Ben.

--

@ 2016-07-04 18:00         ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2016-07-04 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhuyj, John W. Linville; +Cc: netdev

On Fri, 2016-07-01 at 10:33 +0800, zhuyj wrote:
> I am interested in this, too.

You didn't say anything about your experience with Linux networking,
and I couldn't find many contributions from you.  So you are welcome to
help with ethtool but I've selected John as the maintainer.

Ben.

--

@ 2016-07-05 15:58       ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2016-07-05 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Hutchings; +Cc: netdev

On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 07:18:48PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-06-27 at 09:51 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 06:11:41PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > I've become steadily less enthusiastic and less responsive as a
> > > maintainer over the past year or so.  I no longer work on networking
> > > regularly, so it takes a lot more time to get into the right state of
> > > mind to think about ethtool code, while I have other demands on my time
> > > that tend to take priority.
> > >
> > > So, I would like to find a new maintainer to take over as soon as
> > > possible.  Ideally the new maintainer would have previous contributions
> > > to ethtool and an existing account on kernel.org so that they can push
> > > to the git repository and the home page.  But neither of those is
> > > essential.  Please reply if you're interested.
> >
> > I would like to take this responsibility. My previous contributions
> > to ethtool are meager, but I think my skills and interests are suited
> > to the task.  Plus, I already have a kernel.org account... :-)
> [...]
>
> It was a tough choice, but I'm pleased to accept your offer. :-)
>
> I'll ask for the permissions to be updated accordingly.
>
> Ben.

Awesome, thanks.  And, of course, thank you for your service to the
community as ethtool maintainer for the past several (5+) years!