* [Feature request] config diff on a single option with the admin socket
@ 2016-07-29 10:12 Sebastien Han
From: Sebastien Han @ 2016-07-29 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi,

The basic idea would be to have the ability to request the default
value of a config option.
We currently have "config diff" that returns all the diff.
I'd like to have the same but for a specific option only.

So something like:

ceph daemon mon.ceph-mon-01 config diff get <field>

Which will return the diff between the actual config value and the
original config value.

I don't think it's hard to do since we already have the "config diff".
To give you a bit more context, this is needed by ceph-ansible while
applying new config options into the ceph.conf.

Thanks in advance!

--
Cheers

––––––
Sébastien Han
Principal Storage Architect

"Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood."

Mail: seb@redhat.com
Address: 11 bis, rue Roquépine - 75008 Paris

* Re: [Feature request] config diff on a single option with the admin socket
@ 2016-07-29 18:32 ` Jesse Williamson
From: Jesse Williamson @ 2016-07-29 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Han; +Cc: Squid Cybernetic

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016, Sebastien Han wrote:

Hi Sebastien,

> I'd like to have the same but for a specific option only.
>
> So something like:
>
> ceph daemon mon.ceph-mon-01 config diff get <field>
>
> Which will return the diff between the actual config value and the
> original config value.

I might be able to help with this, if there's no support that anyone
already knows of, or clear takers. I'm working on a small config-related
librados feature right now and am somewhat familiar with the relevant
moving parts on that end, so I might be in a good position to work on it.

WRT the admin socket, I'm less clear, but can be pointed in the right
direction. :-)

-Jesse

* Re: [Feature request] config diff on a single option with the admin socket
@ 2016-08-08 12:16   ` Sebastien Han
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Sebastien Han @ 2016-08-08 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Williamson; +Cc: Squid Cybernetic

Would be nice if you could get a stab at it, actually I don't know
where to look in the code to see where the magic is happening for the
admin socket.
Most of the logic is there so this shouldn't be too difficult :).

Did you get a chance to look into this Jesse?
Thanks for offering your help on this one!

--
Cheers

––––––

@ 2016-08-08 22:04     ` Daniel Oliveira
       [not found]     ` <1470691964.14948.2.camel@suse.com>
From: Daniel Oliveira @ 2016-08-08 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Han, Jesse Williamson; +Cc: Squid Cybernetic

Sebastien,

As I was working on a couple of other things related to validating parameters/settings, I ended up adding the feature in question and I am just in the process of testing it. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,
-Daniel

@ 2016-08-08 23:50     ` Jesse Williamson
       [not found]     ` <1470691964.14948.2.camel@suse.com>
From: Jesse Williamson @ 2016-08-08 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Han; +Cc: Squid Cybernetic

On Mon, 8 Aug 2016, Sebastien Han wrote:

Hi Sebastien,

> Did you get a chance to look into this Jesse?

I did, but Daniel pinged me and it sounds like he's right on top of it.
:-)

> Thanks for offering your help on this one!

You're welcome!

-Jesse

@ 2016-08-09  2:38       ` Daniel Oliveira
From: Daniel Oliveira @ 2016-08-09  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Han, Jesse Williamson; +Cc: Squid Cybernetic

Sebastien,

For now, We have something like this (which follows the same standard
as 'config diff' and 'config get' :

#1:
./ceph --admin-daemon out/osd.1.asok config diff get
mon_data_avail_crit
{
    "diff": {
        "current": {
            "mon_data_avail_crit": "1"
        },
        "defaults": {
            "mon_data_avail_crit": "5"
        }
    },
    "unknown": []
}

./ceph --admin-daemon out/osd.1.asok config diff get
mon_data_avail_warn
{
    "diff": {
        "current": {
            "mon_data_avail_warn": "10"
        },
        "defaults": {
            "mon_data_avail_warn": "30"
        }
    },
    "unknown": []
}

What would be the proper way to display a setting that *was not*
changed from its default?, for example:
./ceph --admin-daemon out/osd.1.asok config diff get num_client
{
    "diff": {
        "current": {},
        "defaults": {}
    },
    "unknown": []
}

Or only the "current" value?

Thanks,
-Daniel

@ 2016-08-09  9:52         ` Sebastien Han
From: Sebastien Han @ 2016-08-09  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Oliveira; +Cc: Jesse Williamson, Squid Cybernetic

Thanks a lot Daniel, that looks exactly right.
If nothing changed I think it's valid to keep both fields showing the
same value.
This is either when comparing with whatever tool because the structure
won't change so we don't have to handle a particular case.

Others? Thoughts?

--
Cheers

––––––

@ 2016-08-09 10:51           ` Shinobu Kinjo
From: Shinobu Kinjo @ 2016-08-09 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Han; +Cc: Daniel Oliveira, Jesse Williamson, Squid Cybernetic

Just question.

Do we have already something like config file validation check command?
If not, it would be better to add this capability for end users if it
would not burden you.

Because it's not a bit clear about which option must be in which section.

Thoughts?

 - Shinobu

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Sebastien Han <shan@redhat.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot Daniel, that looks exactly right.
> If nothing changed I think it's valid to keep both fields showing the
> same value.
> This is either when comparing with whatever tool because the structure
> won't change so we don't have to handle a particular case.
>
> Others? Thoughts?
>
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 4:38 AM, Daniel Oliveira <doliveira@suse.com> wrote:
>> Sebastien,
>>
>> For now, We have something like this (which follows the same standard
>> as 'config diff' and 'config get' :
>>
>> #1:
>> ./ceph --admin-daemon out/osd.1.asok config diff get
>> mon_data_avail_crit
>> {
>>     "diff": {
>>         "current": {
>>             "mon_data_avail_crit": "1"
>>         },
>>         "defaults": {
>>             "mon_data_avail_crit": "5"
>>         }
>>     },
>>     "unknown": []
>> }
>>
>> ./ceph --admin-daemon out/osd.1.asok config diff get
>> mon_data_avail_warn
>> {
>>     "diff": {
>>         "current": {
>>             "mon_data_avail_warn": "10"
>>         },
>>         "defaults": {
>>             "mon_data_avail_warn": "30"
>>         }
>>     },
>>     "unknown": []
>> }
>>
>> What would be the proper way to display a setting that *was not*
>> changed from its default?, for example:
>> ./ceph --admin-daemon out/osd.1.asok config diff get num_client
>> {
>>     "diff": {
>>         "current": {},
>>         "defaults": {}
>>     },
>>     "unknown": []
>> }
>>
>> Or only the "current" value?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Daniel
>>

>> On Mon, 2016-08-08 at 15:32 -0600, Daniel Oliveira wrote:
>>> Sebastien,
>>>
>>> As I was working on a couple of other things related to validating
>>> parameters/settings, I ended up adding the feature in question and I
>>> am just in the process of testing it. I will keep you posted.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Daniel

> --
> Cheers
>
> ––––––
> Sébastien Han
> Principal Storage Architect
>
> "Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood."
>
> Mail: seb@redhat.com
> Address: 11 bis, rue Roquépine - 75008 Paris

Email:
shinobu@linux.com
shinobu@redhat.com

* Re: [Feature request] config diff on a single option with the admin socket
@ 2016-08-10  0:03             ` Daniel Oliveira
From: Daniel Oliveira @ 2016-08-10  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Squid Cybernetic

Shinobu,

Sorry, but I am not sure I understand what your request is. If it is
not related to Sebastien's feature request, we probably would need a
different one so we can track it properly. Are you referring to a
*config file parser* kind of thing, where some checking is done to make
sure settings are in the proper section? Or am I missing something?

-Daniel

@ 2016-08-10 10:34               ` Shinobu Kinjo
From: Shinobu Kinjo @ 2016-08-10 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Oliveira; +Cc: Squid Cybernetic

Daniel,

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Daniel Oliveira <doliveira@suse.com> wrote:
> Shinobu,
>
> Sorry, but I am not sure I understand what your request is. If it is
> not related to Sebastien's feature request, we probably would need a
> different one so we can track it properly. Are you referring to a
> *config file parser* kind of thing, where some checking is done to make
> sure settings are in the proper section? Or am I missing something?

Yes, that is exactly what I said.
Does that capabilities make sense?

> -Daniel
>

> On Tue, 2016-08-09 at 19:51 +0900, Shinobu Kinjo wrote:
>> Just question.
>>
>> Do we have already something like config file validation check
>> command?
>> If not, it would be better to add this capability for end users if it
>> would not burden you.
>>
>> Because it's not a bit clear about which option must be in which
>> section.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>>  - Shinobu
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Sebastien Han <shan@redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Thanks a lot Daniel, that looks exactly right.
>> > If nothing changed I think it's valid to keep both fields showing
>> > the
>> > same value.
>> > This is either when comparing with whatever tool because the
>> > structure
>> > won't change so we don't have to handle a particular case.
>> >
>> > Others? Thoughts?
>> >
>> > On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 4:38 AM, Daniel Oliveira <doliveira@suse.com

>> > --
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > ––––––
>> > Sébastien Han
>> > Principal Storage Architect
>> >
>> > "Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood."
>> >
>> > Mail: seb@redhat.com
>> > Address: 11 bis, rue Roquépine - 75008 Paris
>> > --
>> > -devel" in
>> > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
>> > More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Email:
shinobu@linux.com
shinobu@redhat.com

* Re: [Feature request] config diff on a single option with the admin socket
@ 2016-08-11  8:16                 ` Sebastien Han
From: Sebastien Han @ 2016-08-11  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skinjo; +Cc: Daniel Oliveira, Squid Cybernetic

Daniel,

Are you fine with my answer?
Just trying to keep the main subject alive here :).

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Shinobu Kinjo <shinobu.kj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Daniel Oliveira <doliveira@suse.com> wrote:
>> Shinobu,
>>
>> Sorry, but I am not sure I understand what your request is. If it is
>> not related to Sebastien's feature request, we probably would need a
>> different one so we can track it properly. Are you referring to a
>> *config file parser* kind of thing, where some checking is done to make
>> sure settings are in the proper section? Or am I missing something?
>
> Yes, that is exactly what I said.
> Does that capabilities make sense?
>

>> -Daniel
>>

>> On Tue, 2016-08-09 at 19:51 +0900, Shinobu Kinjo wrote:
>>> Just question.
>>>
>>> Do we have already something like config file validation check
>>> command?
>>> If not, it would be better to add this capability for end users if it
>>> would not burden you.
>>>
>>> Because it's not a bit clear about which option must be in which
>>> section.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>>  - Shinobu

>> --

> Email:
> shinobu@linux.com
> shinobu@redhat.com

Cheers

––––––

@ 2016-08-11  9:30                   ` Shinobu Kinjo
From: Shinobu Kinjo @ 2016-08-11  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Han; +Cc: Daniel Oliveira, Squid Cybernetic

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Sebastien Han <shan@redhat.com> wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> Are you fine with my answer?
> Just trying to keep the main subject alive here :).

Agreed -;

@ 2016-08-11 19:45                   ` Daniel Oliveira
From: Daniel Oliveira @ 2016-08-11 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Han, skinjo; +Cc: Squid Cybernetic

Sebastien,

Yes, I am ok with it and finished implementing it all (including the
behavior for unchanged settings) and planning on creating a PR still
today on this.

-Daniel

@ 2016-08-12  9:28                     ` Sebastien Han
From: Sebastien Han @ 2016-08-12  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Oliveira; +Cc: Shinobu Kinjo, Squid Cybernetic

Thanks, once it's pushed please send me the PR so I can have a look :).