From: UsuarioAnonimo <usuarioanonimo322@gmail.com>
To: ath9k-devel@lists.ath9k.org
Subject: [ath9k-devel] ath9k_htc kernel driver regression affecting throughput
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 12:27:22 -0700	[thread overview]

My primary conntection to the internet has been the Alfa AWUS036NHA
wireless adapter which uses the Atheros AR9271 802.11n chipset. The
applicable linux driver/module and firmware is ath9k_htc. Ever since
the upgrade from linux kernel 4.3.x to 4.4.x the throughput of the
adapter chipset has been severely affected making the adapter basically
unusable.

It will still readily connect to a distant access point. But instead of
previously giving me steady and reliable download throughput in the
range of 1/3 Mb/sec to almost a full Mb/sec with no packet loss, now
after a minute or two it will very quickly slow and stall down to 1 or
2 kbs/sec and 100% packet loss. If I reconnect, sometimes I will get
good throughput for another minute or two before it stalls to nothing
again.

I know this is a software issue, not hardware, because I have other
distros installed on the same computer or another computer with linux
kernel 4.3.x installed and the wifi adapter works beautifully as before.

I also now strongly suspect that this is not firmware related, but
kernel driver related, that there was a regression or bug introduced
into one of the .ko driver modules (whether ath9k, ath9k_htc, or other)
in kernel 4.4.x and it is still present in linux kernel 4.7.x (Arch and
Manaro linux).

I am surprised this basic functionality in managed mode has persisted
for so long without other people noticing it or addressing it. I've
been banging my head up against a wall for 6 months now with failed
workarounds. And finally have settled on using other wifi adapters that
have much lower throughput than the Atheros chipset, but which I can
work with to some degree.

If anybody is willing or able to address this, I would be happy to run
any tests and send any log output to try to help solve this. Thank you
for your attention.