* [Qemu-devel] QEMU 2.8 release schedule
@ 2016-09-28 18:06 Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2016-09-28 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Peter Maydell, Paolo Bonzini

Let's use the following release schedule, originally proposed by Paolo
Bonzini, for QEMU 2.8:

2016-11-01 softfreeze
2016-11-15 hardfreeze/rc0 (+2 weeks)
2016-11-22 rc1 (+1 week)
2016-11-29 rc2 (+1 week)
2016-12-06 rc3 (+1 week)
2016-12-13 rc4 or release (+1 week)
2016-12-20 release if rc4 was necessary

Wiki page: http://qemu-project.org/Planning/2.8
Changelog: http://qemu-project.org/ChangeLog/2.8

Following previous discussions [1], the rules for the softfreeze will be
changed in the QEMU 2.8 release cycle to bound the length of the freeze
period better.

Previously patch series posted on the mailing list prior to softfreeze
could be included in maintainers' pull requests during softfreeze.

Going forward pull requests sent by maintainers during softfreeze must
contain only bug fixes.  Of course v2 pull requests are allowed if there
was a build/test failure with the final non-softfreeze pull request.

The result is that the 2 week softfreeze period will allow rc0 to be
tagged reliably under less code churn.

I have posted this schedule on the wiki and updated the softfreeze wiki
page.  Please reply if you have any concerns.

Stefan

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2016-09/msg00057.html

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 2.8 release schedule
@ 2016-09-29  7:04 ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2016-09-29  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel, Peter Maydell, Paolo Bonzini

  Hi,

> Following previous discussions [1], the rules for the softfreeze will be
> changed in the QEMU 2.8 release cycle to bound the length of the freeze
> period better.
>
> Previously patch series posted on the mailing list prior to softfreeze
> could be included in maintainers' pull requests during softfreeze.

Maybe we should call "softfreeze" simple "freeze" then to make things
more clear.  Any features must land pull requests before freeze, period.
We don't really have a separate hard freeze any more:  After (soft-)
freeze only bugfixes are allowed.

cheers,
  Gerd

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 2.8 release schedule
@ 2016-09-29  7:25   ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2016-09-29  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, Peter Maydell, qemu-devel, Paolo Bonzini

On Thu, 09/29 09:04, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> > Following previous discussions [1], the rules for the softfreeze will be
> > changed in the QEMU 2.8 release cycle to bound the length of the freeze
> > period better.
> >
> > Previously patch series posted on the mailing list prior to softfreeze
> > could be included in maintainers' pull requests during softfreeze.
>
> Maybe we should call "softfreeze" simple "freeze" then to make things
> more clear.  Any features must land pull requests before freeze, period.
> We don't really have a separate hard freeze any more:  After (soft-)
> freeze only bugfixes are allowed.

+1. The new rule for softfreeze is already changing it to a "hard" one.

Fam

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 2.8 release schedule
@ 2016-09-29  7:51     ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-09-29  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fam Zheng, Gerd Hoffmann; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, Peter Maydell, qemu-devel

On 29/09/2016 09:25, Fam Zheng wrote:
> On Thu, 09/29 09:04, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>>   Hi,
>>
>>> Following previous discussions [1], the rules for the softfreeze will be
>>> changed in the QEMU 2.8 release cycle to bound the length of the freeze
>>> period better.
>>>
>>> Previously patch series posted on the mailing list prior to softfreeze
>>> could be included in maintainers' pull requests during softfreeze.
>>
>> Maybe we should call "softfreeze" simple "freeze" then to make things
>> more clear.  Any features must land pull requests before freeze, period.
>> We don't really have a separate hard freeze any more:  After (soft-)
>> freeze only bugfixes are allowed.
>
> +1. The new rule for softfreeze is already changing it to a "hard" one.

For maintainers there is a difference in that you have some more time to
resend failed pull requests.

More important, before changing names we should go through the
experiment once and see whether we want to keep it for the future. :)

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 2.8 release schedule
@ 2016-09-29  8:27       ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2016-09-29  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: Fam Zheng, Stefan Hajnoczi, Peter Maydell, qemu-devel

On Do, 2016-09-29 at 09:51 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 29/09/2016 09:25, Fam Zheng wrote:
> > On Thu, 09/29 09:04, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >>   Hi,

> >> Maybe we should call "softfreeze" simple "freeze" then to make things
> >> more clear.  Any features must land pull requests before freeze, period.
> >> We don't really have a separate hard freeze any more:  After (soft-)
> >> freeze only bugfixes are allowed.
> >
> > +1. The new rule for softfreeze is already changing it to a "hard" one.
>
> For maintainers there is a difference in that you have some more time to
> resend failed pull requests.

Yes, before -rc0 it's allowed to have bugfixes for pending pull
requests, after -rc0 it's only bugfixes for merged code.

But in any case feature pull requests must be on the list before (soft)
freeze, which is what matters most for everybody's planning.

cheers,
  Gerd

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 2.8 release schedule
@ 2016-09-29 12:58   ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2016-09-29 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann; +Cc: qemu-devel, Peter Maydell, Paolo Bonzini