* [Fwd: Re: Wondering about cirris and stdvga]
       [not found] <1479500639.16973.3.camel@redhat.com>
@ 2016-11-18 21:57 ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-11-18 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Adam Jackson <ajax@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Wondering about cirris and stdvga
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 15:23:59 -0500

On Fri, 2016-11-18 at 11:26 -0800, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> I am no Xorg maintainer but back in the XenClient days we did some
> perf
> analysis and it turned out that the bitblt operations supported by
> Cirrus are actually very slow to emulate in QEMU.

Yep. Turns out the "acceleration" is still going to be running on a
CPU, so you can either take a hypercall for every operation, or not.

The X drivers for a while now have detected virtual cirrus devices and
defaulted to a shadow framebuffer instead, partly for this reason and
partly to hide the absolutely terrible 24bpp framebuffer format from
applications.

- ajax

* Re: [Fwd: Re: Wondering about cirris and stdvga]
@ 2016-11-18 22:31   ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-11-18 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Ian Jackson, Paul Durrant, ajax, xen-devel,
	anthony.perard, Roger Pau Monne

> On Fri, 2016-11-18 at 15:19 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > >
> > > The "broken and impossible to fix" sounds like FUD TBH.
>
> The "fear" bit, perhaps; it is arguably frightening that we continue
> emulate in 2016 a chip that was inadequate in 1996. In my opinion
> about
> cirrus being broken, however, I am neither uncertain nor in doubt.

Thanks Konrad for poking Adam, and thanks Adam for chiming in so
quickly.

> > > I wouldn't want to change the default just because Wayland is
> > > broken.
> > > Wayland should be fixed.
>
> You should want to change the default because it is bad, even for X.

In principle, I'm all with Ian's, and I think that's true for pretty
much everyone.

And in fact, I was really hesitant to start a discussion like this
basing on: 1) another project's bug and 2) rumors (as Ian says, and
he's right again) and incomplete knowledge.

Then, poking around a bit more, and talking with Konrad, we had the
feeling that those that were only rumors to us (well, to me), may
actually be more than just that... which indeed seems to be what Adam
is teaching us here. :-)

> > CCing Adam Jackson who I hope can enlighten us on the technical
> > parts of Xorg.
> >
> > I am really interested in knowing the technical merits
> > of the stdvga vs cirrus and I hope to understand what the Xorg
> > maintainer(s) have in mind.
>
> The cirrus chip that qemu happens to emulate is trash. It can't do
> 32bpp, it can't do modes larger than 2048 wide, it can't do more than
> 4M of VRAM. We could of course extend the qemu emulation to be more
> capable; doing so would require updating every guest to know about
> these enhancements, though.
>
> stdvga, as it has none of the above problems, is _today_ uniformly
> better than cirrus. It is still perhaps less awesome than one would
> like (no idea how multihead is expected to work for example), but
> there
> is no world in which stdvga is worse than cirrus.

Ok. These seems very good reasons to me.

Then of course I'm no maintainer, so it's someone else's call...
Hopefully, we at least gathered some useful insights. :-)

Thanks and Regards,
Dario

* [Fwd: Re: Wondering about cirris and stdvga]
       [not found] <1479500348.16973.1.camel@redhat.com>
@ 2016-11-18 21:57 ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-11-18 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On Fri, 2016-11-18 at 13:32 -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 06:08:57PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> >

> > > performance wise, that cirrus is broken and impossible to
> > > fix (because it is the hardware that it's emulating that was
> > > broken),
> > > that stdvga enables better screen resolution in guests, etc.
> >
> > The "broken and impossible to fix" sounds like FUD TBH.

The "fear" bit, perhaps; it is arguably frightening that we continue to

       [not found] <alpine.DEB.2.10.1611181123310.3290@sstabellini-ThinkPad-X260>
@ 2016-11-18 21:57 ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-11-18 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-11-18 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

       [not found] <22575.17337.627347.934459@mariner.uk.xensource.com>
@ 2016-11-18 21:57 ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-11-18 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Making the thread appear on xen-devel, as it actually was not there,
because I can't type! :-/

Mailer: VM 8.2.0b under 24.4.1 (i586-pc-linux-gnu)