* [RFC] IIO Driver for GSoC 2020
@ 2020-03-26 17:34 Nishant Malpani
From: Nishant Malpani @ 2020-03-26 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-iio; +Cc: Dragos.Bogdan

Hello IIO,

The project proposal for GSoC 2020 under The Linux Foundation [1] must
include a Analog Devices, Inc.'s component for which a novel driver is
to be implemented. My search for a prospective device has culminated to
consider ADXRS290 Gyroscope. About ADXRS290:

- Ultra-low Noise, Dual-Axis (Pitch and Roll) MEMS Gyroscope
- "Recommended for New Designs" phase
- SPI digital output
- Datasheet in [2]
- Product overview in [3]

The existence of any compatible drivers for the above component was
looked for in Analog Device, Inc.'s page that lists all drivers [4] and
their kernel tree [5] and the Linux Kernel Driver database (LKDDb). It
was found to be void and ergo my decision to choose the aforementioned
component.

Is there any other factor I should consider before choosing a component
to make a driver for? Do I go ahead with ADXRS290 gyroscope in my
proposal? If yes, are there any recommendations/suggestions you'd like
to provide for a beginner indulging in making a kernel driver for such a
component?

Thank you for your time.

With regards,
Nishant Malpani

[1] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2020-gsoc-iio-driver
[2]
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ADXRS290.pdf
[3] https://www.analog.com/en/products/adxrs290.html#product-overview
[4] https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-drivers-all
[5] https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/linux

* RE: [RFC] IIO Driver for GSoC 2020
@ 2020-03-26 18:47 ` Bogdan, Dragos
From: Bogdan, Dragos @ 2020-03-26 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nishant Malpani, linux-iio

Hi Nishant,

An IIO driver for ADXRS290 is a very good proposal. Go ahead and submit your application.

Thanks,
Dragos