* [Qemu-devel] QXL VGA on ppc64?
@ 2016-12-21 12:14 Michal Suchánek
From: Michal Suchánek @ 2016-12-21 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello,

I heard this configuration is not working very well.

However, just enabling QXL in configuration and spapr.c I get a kvm
emulation error.

So what issues does the configuration have and what is needed to enable
it?

I am interested in resizing guest display to match client screen size.

Thanks

Michal

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QXL VGA on ppc64?
@ 2017-01-03 13:10 ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2017-01-03 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Suchánek; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Mi, 2016-12-21 at 13:14 +0100, Michal Suchánek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I heard this configuration is not working very well.
>
> However, just enabling QXL in configuration and spapr.c I get a kvm
> emulation error.
>
> So what issues does the configuration have and what is needed to enable
> it?

spice is little endian for historical reasons.  There was (still is?)
ongoing work in both qxl emulation and spice code base to fix this, but
I don't think anyone went on testing and fixing things systematically on
bigendian machines.  You might want try asking on spice-devel though.

There also used to be some x86 dependency, but that was a small issue
compared to the byteordering and it got fixed while spice was enabled
for arm.

qxl + spice on ppc64le should do just fine, but only in case both host
and guest are le.

> I am interested in resizing guest display to match client screen size.

virtio-gpu is another option for that one.

cheers,
  Gerd