From: Jeremy Rosen <jeremy.rosen@openwide.fr>
To: buildroot@busybox.net
Subject: [Buildroot] Best-Practice Suggestions for developing package patches in buildroot
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 09:16:47 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

> Please read Section 8.6.11 "Using Buildroot during development"
> (http://nightly.buildroot.org/manual.html#_advanced_usage). It will
> give you a good idea, how to work on upstream code.
> <pkg1>_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR is the keyword.
>
> Yegor

To develop a little bit on that, we are in the case of
* a package that is already part of buildroot
* to whom you want to develop a new patch (not apply an existing one)

I usually do a git clone of the package at whatever version BR uses
then use OVERRIDE_SRCDIR to force BR to use my clone as source.
I modify the source that way, using the power of git to modify
the sources locally and save different patches into a chain of commits
once I'm done I use git format-patch to do a patch serie that I can
add to buildroot/upstream

I keep my git clone around because it makes respinning the patches much
easier than if I had to work directly with the patches themselves.

I used quilt a long time ago, but now that I understand git rebase -i
it's much more handy than quilt...

Regards

Jeremy