From: Dan Williams <dcbw@redhat.com>
To: Thomas Thielemann <thomas@th-thielemann.de>
Cc: linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: How to use netlink to determine wifi protection WEP
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2017 10:41:46 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, 2017-04-06 at 16:27 +0200, Thomas Thielemann wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> If the sequence is the following:
>
>  1. Prepare and execute NL80211_CMD_TRIGGER_SCAN
>  2. Prepare and execute NL80211_CMD_GET_SCAN
>  Together with NL80211_CMD_GET_SCAN a callback is registered.
>  In the callback the raw data are parsed as BSS. The IE's are parsed
> to.
>
> When do I have to fetch the beacon to get the right beacon but
> without lost of the scan result?
> After I fetched all scan results or immediately after the receive of
> every scan result?

The scan results are essentially the beacons, so you just need to read
the GET_SCAN.  Then when parsing the "bss info" you get from the scan
results handler that you registered, you look for:

NL80211_BSS_CAPABILITY: the Privacy bit is in here
NL80211_BSS_INFORMATION_ELEMENTS: the IEs are obviously in here

Dan