* ixgbe: mbuf packet_type is not set when vPMD code is used
@ 2017-05-10 14:27 Maxime Bizon
From: Maxime Bizon @ 2017-05-10 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helin Zhang, Konstantin Ananyev; +Cc: dev

Hello,

With ixgbe driver, it seems mbuf packet_type is always 0 when vPMD code
(SSE) is enabled (tried 16.11 & master).

doc/guides/nics/ixgbe.rst seems a bit out of date, so I don't know if
this is expected or not.

When vPMD is disabled, either at compile time or runtime, the field is
correctly set.

--
Maxime

* Re: ixgbe: mbuf packet_type is not set when vPMD code is used
@ 2017-05-10 15:16 ` Olivier Matz
From: Olivier Matz @ 2017-05-10 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Bizon; +Cc: Helin Zhang, Konstantin Ananyev, dev

Hi Maxime,

On Wed, 10 May 2017 16:27:06 +0200, Maxime Bizon <mbizon@freebox.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> With ixgbe driver, it seems mbuf packet_type is always 0 when vPMD code
> (SSE) is enabled (tried 16.11 & master).
>
> doc/guides/nics/ixgbe.rst seems a bit out of date, so I don't know if
> this is expected or not.
>
> When vPMD is disabled, either at compile time or runtime, the field is
> correctly set.

It seems it is planned for 17.08, see:
http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2017-April/064082.html

Regards,
Olivier

* Re: ixgbe: mbuf packet_type is not set when vPMD code is used
@ 2017-05-10 15:49   ` Maxime Bizon
From: Maxime Bizon @ 2017-05-10 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Matz; +Cc: Helin Zhang, Konstantin Ananyev, dev

On Wed, 2017-05-10 at 17:16 +0200, Olivier Matz wrote:

> It seems it is planned for 17.08, see:
> http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2017-April/064082.html

indeed

I was mislead by rte_eth_dev_get_supported_ptypes() returning a non NULL
value

there is some logic to return NULL when vector mode is enabled, but the
code is only valid if rte_eth_dev_configure() was called before.

sorry for the noise

--
Maxime