On Fri, 2017-07-07 at 14:29 -0400, Meng Xu wrote: > On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 4:29 AM, Dario Faggioli > wrote: > > > The total utilization can help answer if the VCPU parameters are > feasible or not. > I'm just saying that we could keep track of utilization and, if on an host with N CPUs, we reach more than (N*100)%, we can warn the user that deadlines will be missed. This is a simple enough check, and it can live in the hypervisor. > But I'm thinking there may exist a better (yet optimal) approach to > answer the question: If all VCPUs on K cores are globally scheduled > or > completely partitioned onto each of the K cores, we can use > Utilization Bound of the EDF scheduling algorithm for checking if the > VCPU's performance can be safely provided. > This requires the VCPUs' parameters (which also computes the total > utilization), which are easy to get. > I know there's math we can use, I'm just saying we don't want that in Xen. > Another thing is where this schedulability check should be provided: > in Xen kernel, in Xen toolstack, or as a separate utility tool? > In my opinion, a separate utility tool seems to be better than the > other tool approaches? > Exactly. As said above, you don't put something as complex as that inside Xen. It can well live in toolstack, IMO, as far as we also add a (global, non per-domain) for telling whether we want admission or control not. Regards, Dario -- <> (Raistlin Majere) ----------------------------------------------------------------- Dario Faggioli, Ph.D, http://about.me/dario.faggioli Senior Software Engineer, Citrix Systems R&D Ltd., Cambridge (UK)