From: Magnus Alm <magnus.alm@gmail.com>
To: Johan Mutsaerts <johmut@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-media@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: em28xx based USB Hybrid (Analog & DVB-T) TV Tuner not supported
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 14:03:10 +0100	[thread overview]

Well, maybe you where more right than me...

>From em28xx-dvb.c

	case EM2880_BOARD_TERRATEC_HYBRID_XS:
	case EM2881_BOARD_PINNACLE_HYBRID_PRO:
		dvb->frontend = dvb_attach(zl10353_attach,
					   &em28xx_zl10353_xc3028_no_i2c_gate,
					   &dev->i2c_adap);
		if (dvb->frontend == NULL) {
			/* This board could have either a zl10353 or a mt352.
			   If the chip id isn't for zl10353, try mt352 */
			dvb->frontend = dvb_attach(mt352_attach,
						   &terratec_xs_mt352_cfg,
						   &dev->i2c_adap);
		}

2009/11/7 Magnus Alm <magnus.alm@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> I read some where that trying different card types for a DVB tuner can
> potentially cause damage to them.
>
> You are probably right about the firmare.
> Do you have a link to the manufacture of your stick?
> I tried to google the name of it but couldn't found an exact match.
>
> The EM2881_BOARD_PINNACLE_HYBRID_PRO uses it's XC3028 to getter with a
> ZARLINK456
> as you can see from the following line in em28xx-cards.c
>
> case EM2881_BOARD_PINNACLE_HYBRID_PRO:
>                ctl->demod = XC3028_FE_ZARLINK456;
>                break;
>
> It is probably not compliant with your  Zarlink MT352.
>
> There is a mt352 module tho, but I guess it doesn't get loaded when
> you plug your stick in.
>
> I'll pooke around a bit.....
>
> PS
> Use the "reply all", so others can see your mails, since I'm probably
> one of the least competent guys/gals on this mailing list.
> DS
>

> 2009/11/7 Johan Mutsaerts <johmut@gmail.com>:
>> Hi Magnus,
>>
>> Thanks for a quick reply. Here is some more detailed information:
>>
>> My USB device ID is 0xeb1a:0x2881 it is eMPIA based.
>>
>> These are the components inside
>> - Empia EM2880
>> - Texas Instruments 5150AM1
>> - XCeive XC3028
>> - Empia EMP202
>> - Zarlink MT352
>>
>> Difficult for me to get to the windows stuff....
>>
>> No /dev/dvb/.... is generated ? Could it have something to do with no Firmware ?
>>
>> I found my device to be quite similar to the Pinnacle Hybrid Pro so I tried
>> sudo rmmod em28xx-dvb
>> sudo rmmod em28xx-alsa
>> sudo rmmod em28xx
>> sudo modprobe em28xx card=53 and card=56
>> sudo modprobe em28xx-alsa
>> sudo modprobe em28xx-dvb
>> However with not much success.
>> Card=53 cased MeTV to see a tuner but no channels could be found....
>>
>> TIA for any assistance you can provide.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Johan
>>
>> 2009/11/7 Magnus Alm <magnus.alm@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> The dmesg didn't reveal what tuner your stick/card has, it's probably
>>> a XC2028/XC3028 or something like that.
>>> Easiest way to find out would be if you could open the cover and have
>>> a look inside.
>>>
>>> If you have access to windows and the pvr program that came with the
>>> tuner you could do a usb-sniff.
>>>
>>> http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/
>>> or