All of lore.kernel.org
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: David Hildenbrand <david@redhat.com>
To: "Deucher, Alexander" <Alexander.Deucher@amd.com>,
	"linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	amd-gfx list <amd-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>
Cc: "Huang, Ray" <Ray.Huang@amd.com>,
	"Koenig, Christian" <Christian.Koenig@amd.com>,
	"Liang, Liang (Leo)" <Liang.Liang@amd.com>,
	Mike Rapoport <rppt@linux.ibm.com>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@kernel.org>,
	George Kennedy <george.kennedy@oracle.com>
Subject: Re: slow boot with 7fef431be9c9 ("mm/page_alloc: place pages to tail in __free_pages_core()")
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 15:12:03 +0100	[thread overview]
Message-ID: <15faeb97-d031-f70a-adab-f2966e0b1221@redhat.com> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <MN2PR12MB44886034D18F900F4FE45D8DF76F9@MN2PR12MB4488.namprd12.prod.outlook.com>

On 12.03.21 15:06, Deucher, Alexander wrote:
> [AMD Public Use]
> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: David Hildenbrand <david@redhat.com>
>> Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2021 10:03 AM
>> To: Deucher, Alexander <Alexander.Deucher@amd.com>; linux-
>> kernel@vger.kernel.org; amd-gfx list <amd-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org>;
>> Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>
>> Cc: Huang, Ray <Ray.Huang@amd.com>; Koenig, Christian
>> <Christian.Koenig@amd.com>; Liang, Liang (Leo) <Liang.Liang@amd.com>;
>> Mike Rapoport <rppt@linux.ibm.com>; Rafael J. Wysocki
>> <rafael@kernel.org>; George Kennedy <george.kennedy@oracle.com>
>> Subject: Re: slow boot with 7fef431be9c9 ("mm/page_alloc: place pages to
>> tail in __free_pages_core()")
>>
>> On 11.03.21 15:41, Deucher, Alexander wrote:
>>> [AMD Public Use]
>>>
>>> Booting kernels on certain AMD platforms takes 2-3 minutes with the patch
>> in the subject.  Reverting it restores quick boot times (few seconds).  Any
>> ideas?
>>>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We just discovered latent BUGs in ACPI code whereby ACPI tables are
>> exposed to the page allocator as ordinary, free system RAM. With the
>> patch you mention, the order in which pages get allocated from the page
>> allocator are changed - which makes the BUG trigger more easily.
>>
>> I could imagine that someone allocates and uses that memory on your
>> platform, and I could imagine that such accesses are very slow.
>>
>> I cannot tell if that is the root cause, but at least it would make sense.
>>
>> See
>> https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flore.
>> kernel.org%2Fpatchwork%2Fpatch%2F1389314%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C
>> alexander.deucher%40amd.com%7Cd1533aaddccd464c59f308d8e49ec563%7
>> C3dd8961fe4884e608e11a82d994e183d%7C0%7C0%7C637510717893096801%
>> 7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLC
>> JBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=xpty77D54Z5S%2FKK
>> JO5SsVQaNsHoojWMR73whpu8VT%2B4%3D&amp;reserved=0
>>
>> You might want to give that patch a try (not sure if it's the latest
>> version). CCing George
> 
> Thanks for the patch.  Unfortunately it didn't help.  Any other ideas?  Is there a newer version of that patch?
> 

@George?

It's interesting that this only applies to these special AMD systems so  
far. Is there anything particular about these systems? How much memory  
do these systems have?

Increasing the boot time from a few seconds to 2-3 minutes does not  
smell like some corner case cache effects we might be hitting in this  
particular instance - there have been minor reports that it either  
slightly increased or slightly decreases initial system performance, but  
that was about it.

Either, yet another latent BUG (but why? why should memory access  
suddenly be that slow? I could only guess that we are now making sooner  
use of very slow memory), or there is really something else weird going on.

Cheers!

> Alex


-- 
Thanks,

David / dhildenb


WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID (diff)
From: David Hildenbrand <david@redhat.com>
To: "Deucher, Alexander" <Alexander.Deucher@amd.com>,
	"linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	amd-gfx list <amd-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>
Cc: "Liang, Liang \(Leo\)" <Liang.Liang@amd.com>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@kernel.org>,
	Mike Rapoport <rppt@linux.ibm.com>,
	George Kennedy <george.kennedy@oracle.com>,
	"Huang, Ray" <Ray.Huang@amd.com>,
	"Koenig, Christian" <Christian.Koenig@amd.com>
Subject: Re: slow boot with 7fef431be9c9 ("mm/page_alloc: place pages to tail in __free_pages_core()")
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 15:12:03 +0100	[thread overview]
Message-ID: <15faeb97-d031-f70a-adab-f2966e0b1221@redhat.com> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <MN2PR12MB44886034D18F900F4FE45D8DF76F9@MN2PR12MB4488.namprd12.prod.outlook.com>

On 12.03.21 15:06, Deucher, Alexander wrote:
> [AMD Public Use]
> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: David Hildenbrand <david@redhat.com>
>> Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2021 10:03 AM
>> To: Deucher, Alexander <Alexander.Deucher@amd.com>; linux-
>> kernel@vger.kernel.org; amd-gfx list <amd-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org>;
>> Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>
>> Cc: Huang, Ray <Ray.Huang@amd.com>; Koenig, Christian
>> <Christian.Koenig@amd.com>; Liang, Liang (Leo) <Liang.Liang@amd.com>;
>> Mike Rapoport <rppt@linux.ibm.com>; Rafael J. Wysocki
>> <rafael@kernel.org>; George Kennedy <george.kennedy@oracle.com>
>> Subject: Re: slow boot with 7fef431be9c9 ("mm/page_alloc: place pages to
>> tail in __free_pages_core()")
>>
>> On 11.03.21 15:41, Deucher, Alexander wrote:
>>> [AMD Public Use]
>>>
>>> Booting kernels on certain AMD platforms takes 2-3 minutes with the patch
>> in the subject.  Reverting it restores quick boot times (few seconds).  Any
>> ideas?
>>>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We just discovered latent BUGs in ACPI code whereby ACPI tables are
>> exposed to the page allocator as ordinary, free system RAM. With the
>> patch you mention, the order in which pages get allocated from the page
>> allocator are changed - which makes the BUG trigger more easily.
>>
>> I could imagine that someone allocates and uses that memory on your
>> platform, and I could imagine that such accesses are very slow.
>>
>> I cannot tell if that is the root cause, but at least it would make sense.
>>
>> See
>> https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flore.
>> kernel.org%2Fpatchwork%2Fpatch%2F1389314%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C
>> alexander.deucher%40amd.com%7Cd1533aaddccd464c59f308d8e49ec563%7
>> C3dd8961fe4884e608e11a82d994e183d%7C0%7C0%7C637510717893096801%
>> 7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLC
>> JBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=xpty77D54Z5S%2FKK
>> JO5SsVQaNsHoojWMR73whpu8VT%2B4%3D&amp;reserved=0
>>
>> You might want to give that patch a try (not sure if it's the latest
>> version). CCing George
> 
> Thanks for the patch.  Unfortunately it didn't help.  Any other ideas?  Is there a newer version of that patch?
> 

@George?

It's interesting that this only applies to these special AMD systems so  
far. Is there anything particular about these systems? How much memory  
do these systems have?

Increasing the boot time from a few seconds to 2-3 minutes does not  
smell like some corner case cache effects we might be hitting in this  
particular instance - there have been minor reports that it either  
slightly increased or slightly decreases initial system performance, but  
that was about it.

Either, yet another latent BUG (but why? why should memory access  
suddenly be that slow? I could only guess that we are now making sooner  
use of very slow memory), or there is really something else weird going on.

Cheers!

> Alex


-- 
Thanks,

David / dhildenb

_______________________________________________
amd-gfx mailing list
amd-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org
https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/amd-gfx

  reply	other threads:[~2021-03-12 14:12 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 48+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2021-03-11 14:41 slow boot with 7fef431be9c9 ("mm/page_alloc: place pages to tail in __free_pages_core()") Deucher, Alexander
2021-03-11 14:41 ` Deucher, Alexander
2021-03-11 15:02 ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-11 15:02   ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-12 14:06   ` Deucher, Alexander
2021-03-12 14:06     ` Deucher, Alexander
2021-03-12 14:12     ` David Hildenbrand [this message]
2021-03-12 14:12       ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-12 15:39       ` Deucher, Alexander
2021-03-12 15:39         ` Deucher, Alexander
2021-03-12 15:48         ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-12 15:48           ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-12 16:15           ` Deucher, Alexander
2021-03-12 16:15             ` Deucher, Alexander
2021-03-12 16:19         ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-12 16:19           ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-12 16:46           ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-12 16:46             ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-13  4:04             ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-13  4:04               ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-13  9:05               ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-13  9:05                 ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-13 13:48                 ` Mike Rapoport
2021-03-13 13:48                   ` Mike Rapoport
2021-03-15 13:04                   ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-15 13:04                     ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-16  0:36                     ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-16  0:36                       ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-16  6:50                       ` Mike Rapoport
2021-03-16  6:50                         ` Mike Rapoport
2021-03-16  8:00                         ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-16  8:00                           ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-16  8:37                           ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-16  8:37                             ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-16  8:43                             ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-16  8:43                               ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-16  8:54                               ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-16  8:54                                 ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-16  8:58                                 ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-16  8:58                                   ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-16  9:08                                   ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-16  9:08                                     ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-16 10:30                                     ` Mike Rapoport
2021-03-16 10:30                                       ` Mike Rapoport
2021-03-16 11:02                                       ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-16 11:02                                         ` Liang, Liang (Leo)
2021-03-16 11:10                                         ` David Hildenbrand
2021-03-16 11:10                                           ` David Hildenbrand

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=15faeb97-d031-f70a-adab-f2966e0b1221@redhat.com \
    --to=david@redhat.com \
    --cc=Alexander.Deucher@amd.com \
    --cc=Christian.Koenig@amd.com \
    --cc=Liang.Liang@amd.com \
    --cc=Ray.Huang@amd.com \
    --cc=akpm@linux-foundation.org \
    --cc=amd-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org \
    --cc=george.kennedy@oracle.com \
    --cc=linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=rafael@kernel.org \
    --cc=rppt@linux.ibm.com \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link
Be sure your reply has a Subject: header at the top and a blank line before the message body.
This is an external index of several public inboxes,
see mirroring instructions on how to clone and mirror
all data and code used by this external index.