All of lore.kernel.org
From: Damien Le Moal <damien.lemoal@opensource.wdc.com>
To: Robert Balogh <ethrbh@gmail.com>, fio <fio@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: FIO performance measurement between volumes
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 08:20:31 +0900	[thread overview]

On 1/13/22 20:47, Robert Balogh wrote:
> hello FIO experts,
>
> I am a beginner in FIO, and I met with a problem.
>
> Currently in my Ubuntu based server the "/dev/vdb1" volume is attached
> to the "/home/batman/fio/cindervolume" path. FIO job is configured
> like this
>
>     [global]
>     filename=fio-172_20_2_13
>     directory=/home/batman/fio/cindervolume rw=rw
>     rwmixread=60
>     rwmixwrite=40
>     bs=4k
>     rate=500k
>     direct=1
>     numjobs=1
>     time_based=1
>     runtime=14d
>     verify=crc32c
>     continue_on_error=all
>     group_reporting=1
>
>     [file1]
>     iodepth=1
>     ; -- end job file --
>
> FIO is started like this and works well:
>     /usr/bin/fio --size=10G
> --output=/home/batman/fio/cindervolume/fio-172_20_2_13-process.log
> /home/batman/fioApp/fio-seq-RW.job &
>
> FIO version I use: fio-3.25
>
> My next step would be to attach a 2nd volume for example "/dev/vdc" to
> "/home/batman/fio/cindervolume-2" path, and I would do performance
> measurement between the volumes. I was checking the FIO user’s guide,
> https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html but unfortunately I
> cannot figure out which parameter might help me to solve this topic.
>
> By-the-way is this possible to do with FIO? If so, could you please
> help me by giving some direction/hints?

Move the directory=/... option from global section into the job section
and add a job for your other volume with directory= again added in that
job section to point to the new volume directory. The 2 jobs will run
simultaneously targetting different volumes, unless you add "stonewall",
in which case the jobs will run one after the other.

Or you could just write another fio script for the second volume.

It is not clear if you want to run the perf tests on the 2 volumes in
parallel or one after the other.

--
Damien Le Moal
Western Digital Research